Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers perform diff between 2 directories Post 302086655 by rahulrathod on Friday 25th of August 2006 11:55:33 AM
Old 08-25-2006
wat if you only want to list the files in dir1 or dir2 which are similar in name, but differ in content rather than the actual diff output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl package directories - what if the script is diff DIR to the one contain *.pm?

Hi there, say the package is in the ~/ and it's ~/packageFoo.pm I can use usePackage.pl in ~/ (~/usePackage.pl). Now, if I move it to ~/subDIR/usePackage.pl, the script won't work because it's not in the same DIR with packageFoo.pm How can i fix it? Thanks Gusla (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare/Diff between directories and subdirectories?

Hi, Does anybody know the cmd to compare two areas and print out the different files w/ path? I tried cmp and diff and dircmp but with no luck. Should I grep and print? For example: /aa/images/jan ..../images/feb /bb/images/jan ..../images/feb i want to print the compare,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylee80
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using diff on files in different directories

Hi, I want to be able to compare two different files in two different directories. I have a development server set up on one domain and a live server set up on another.....I need to be able to compare files on these two servers. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

CVS recursive diff -- how to exclude specific directories?

I think I've seen out there that there is a command to ignore specific files within a directory when doing a (-R) recursive diff. I've never used this so I was wondering if there was anyone who could provide an example how I would run this. My thoughts are something like: cvs diff -i <fileName1>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airon23bball
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access files from different directories and to perform search action in those files?

Hi, I want to access files from different directories (for example: /home/dir1/file1 , /home/dir2/file2 ...) Like this i have to access these files(file1, file2...). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Perform an operation to all directories

Sorry, about this thread - I solved my own problem! Thanks for taking a look. edit by bakunin: no problem, but it would have been a nice touch to actually tell us what the solution was. This would have been slightlich more educating than just knowing that you found it. I changed your title to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blue Solo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparision of two directories of diff servers

Hi All, I have transferred some directory structures from server1 to server2 by creating a tar files. Now i need to cross check whether I transferred entire structures or not. Is there any command to check this on each individual server. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two directories with diff

Hi all, I have 2 directories on two different servers. I am trying to find out what is missing from directory X and what is missing from directory Y. they should both have the same exact files in them. I understand some files may be missing from both directories on each server. I am not sure... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
ZDIFF(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZDIFF(1)

NAME
zcmp, zdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
zcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] zdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Zcmp and zdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on files compressed via gzip. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only file1 is specified, it is compared to the uncompressed contents of file1.gz. If two files are specified, their con- tents (uncompressed if necessary) are fed to cmp or diff. The input files are not modified. The exit status from cmp or diff is pre- served. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), zmore(1), zgrep(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs may refer to file names such as "-" instead of to the file names specified. ZDIFF(1)