Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box Post 302086448 by Perderabo on Thursday 24th of August 2006 03:12:36 AM
Old 08-24-2006
I think Corona688 meant that grub.conf would be something like:
Code:
title Centos
kernel (hd0,0)/centos/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda5

title Fedora
kernel (hd0,0)/fedora/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda6

title Redhat
kernel (hd0,0)/redhat/kernel-2.6.12-r10 root=/dev/hda7

You will need a subdirectory for each distro so that each can have its own kernel. Remember that the extended partition is broken into logical partitions. You can put anything into logical partitions. As long as grub stage1 is installed in the MBR and stage 1.5 is installed in the hidden sectors, stage 2 can be anywhere. I even created a tiny (logical) partition at the very end of a 100 GB and booted from that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

convert centos 5.2 to Fedora 10

i need to convert my centos 5.2 to fedora 10 with no losing data . !! but how ? can someone help !!? cheers Chang-Lee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chang-lee
1 Replies

2. Linux

Problem with CRONTAB on Fedora and CentOS

Hello, Can anyone please explain HOW Crontab i.e. job scheduling daemon works in Fedora and CentOS or any Linux platform(Ubuntu).... What are the points that i have to take care of if have to include a script to be run at a specific scheduled time. URGENT reply requested. Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Installing CentOS 5.5 on Virtual Box

Hi, I have installed VirtualBox, downloaded CentOS 5.5 and created a VirtualMachine where i have installed the 'server' versión of CentOS 5.5 As I installed Virtual Box a new network device appeared '192.16.1.250' in my 'real' machine. I was unable to reach my webserver so i istalled CentOS once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: motoko
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

wmii on redhat/fedora

Hi, I want to install the wmii window manager on my redhat. is there any package for it? anybody has any idea? I googled it but did not find a good answer. thanks. Double post, continued here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fedora vs Redhat

Hi, can i say technically there is no difference in: package management (installation/removal/updating) commands between redhat and fedora? in redhat if I am not a official subscriber, I can never do commands like: yum search/update/install... unless I have the license how does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos 5.8 and RedHat 5.3 terminals strange behaviour

Hello, I have following problem. I have Centos 5.8 ( Final ) on Virtual Box. I noticed very strange behavior of the terminals when resizing them. My default shell is tcsh . Let's assume that we have trial script try.csh with text in it: #! /bin/tcsh -f # Trial script echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyanata
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

RedHat/Centos Disable IPv6 Networking

Guide on how to disable ipv6 for Centos and RedHat 1) Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and change: NETWORKING_IPV6=yes to NETWORKING_IPV6=no 2) Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add these lines: alias net-pf-10 off alias ipv6 off 3) Stop the ipv6tables service: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zanna91
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to access redhat Linux box graphically from windows box?

Hi I have a linux box and need to access from windows graphically # uname -a Linux pc-l416116 2.6.18-155.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jun 19 17:06:47 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux What components do I need to install on Linux and windows to do that? TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Hack a centos Linux box

HI, I have a Centos linux box and there is interface connect to internet. I stop the iptables in this box . After a few day , I find the linux box have been hacked and install some perl script into the box . Could anyone tell me how the hacker can login into the centos box without knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Centos/Redhat 7 - Team or Bond

Hello my dears, I preparing system running linux. I found that team is advantage than bond with the option "load-balancing for LACP support" and some minor advantages. 8.3. Comparison of Network Teaming to Bonding - Red Hat Customer Portal. But what exactly meaning of this option I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tien86
1 Replies
installgrub(1M)                                                                                                                    installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)