Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using shell variables In awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using shell variables In awk Post 302086253 by nortypig on Wednesday 23rd of August 2006 08:24:51 AM
Old 08-23-2006
MySQL

thanks vish, its as I feared then and once again I find I've wasted a day because our beloved server is set up wrong... Smilie

my output from your code is

var=”hello”: command not found
var=”myname”: command not found
var2: undefined variable

and the output from your improvement on my line is

var: undefined variable

So I've sat here another full day trying to get things to work because our sys admin has rocks in his head... very sad and frustrating indeed.

thanks a million for that snippet of code, without which I couldn't properly explain the anomoly to the tech support and sys admins - so greatly appreciated.

i think i need to go to bed now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify shell variables with AWK

Dear Folks, I have a command output something like: And I want to store PIN0 and SIG0 in two shell variables, now I do a double awk: PIN=`gsmctl -d /dev/ttyS0 pin sig | awk '/PIN0/ { print $2}'` SIG=`gsmctl -d /dev/ttyS0 pin sig | awk '/SIG0/ { print $2}'` It's possible to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing Shell Variables in awk or sed

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to pass and use variables from shell environment into sed or awk. I am trying to achieve something similar to the following using sed or awk: var=some_regular_expression grep "$var" filename # Will extract lines from filename The following code,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasersh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using two shell variables in single AWK statement

meas is a shell variable, and this works perfectly fine for me: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var' /abcd/efgh.txt > temp1.csv However, i want to introduce another shell variable, named, defnfile in the statement, in place of hardcoded path for efgh.txt like: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, shell variables

Hello, I've been trying to figure out how to use variables inside the AWK command and use it back in the korn shell sript. in my script I have lots of awk commands like this grep Listen /etc/ssh/sshd_config | \ awk '{ if ($2 == "22" ) print "OK"; else print "not OK" }' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusko
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variables & awk...Help Please

I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death here, but my limited searching skills did not throw up any results. Here's what I am trying to accomplish List all the files in a certain directory; assign the file names to an array which will be used later in the script. My script looks like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kash80
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK How to replace a field using 2 shell variables?

Hello everybody: I want to replace any field $2 of any file line (f.i. test.txt) matching $1 with a shell variable. $ cat test.txt F 0 B A H -12.33 Now I'm going to ask the value of variable B: $ SEARCHVAR=B $ OLDVAL=$(awk -v SEARCHVAR="$SEARCHVAR"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: basalt
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - take variables out to shell

Hi, How could we take the value of awk variables out to shell? I know the following methods 1. awk '{print $1}' < file | read a echo $a 2. a=`awk '{print $1}' < file` echo $a Please let me know if there are any other methods. Also, how do we take more than 1 variable value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thumban
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Shell variables in awk

Hi All, I have a file which I am reading and looking for "EXIT" statement. I want to insert ":JCWPROD" after each EXIT statement only if ":JCWPROD" doesn't exist. Here is the sample file : EXIT Testing EXIT tesing123 EXIT Desired file : EXIT :JCWPROD Testing EXIT :JCWPROD... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies
VAR_EXPORT(3)								 1							     VAR_EXPORT(3)

var_export - Outputs or returns a parsable string representation of a variable

SYNOPSIS
mixed var_export (mixed $expression, [bool $return = false]) DESCRIPTION
var_export(3) gets structured information about the given variable. It is similar to var_dump(3) with one exception: the returned represen- tation is valid PHP code. PARAMETERS
o $expression - The variable you want to export. o $return - If used and set to TRUE, var_export(3) will return the variable representation instead of outputting it. RETURN VALUES
Returns the variable representation when the $return parameter is used and evaluates to TRUE. Otherwise, this function will return NULL. NOTES
Note When the $return parameter is used, this function uses internal output buffering so it cannot be used inside an ob_start(3) callback function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Possibility to export classes and arrays con- | | | taining classes using the __set_state() magic | | | method. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 var_export(3) Examples <?php $a = array (1, 2, array ("a", "b", "c")); var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: array ( 0 => 1, 1 => 2, 2 => array ( 0 => 'a', 1 => 'b', 2 => 'c', ), ) <?php $b = 3.1; $v = var_export($b, true); echo $v; ?> The above example will output: 3.1 Example #2 Exporting classes since PHP 5.1.0 <?php class A { public $var; } $a = new A; $a->var = 5; var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: A::__set_state(array( 'var' => 5, )) Example #3 Using __set_state() (since PHP 5.1.0) <?php class A { public $var1; public $var2; public static function __set_state($an_array) { $obj = new A; $obj->var1 = $an_array['var1']; $obj->var2 = $an_array['var2']; return $obj; } } $a = new A; $a->var1 = 5; $a->var2 = 'foo'; eval('$b = ' . var_export($a, true) . ';'); // $b = A::__set_state(array( // 'var1' => 5, // 'var2' => 'foo', // )); var_dump($b); ?> The above example will output: object(A)#2 (2) { ["var1"]=> int(5) ["var2"]=> string(3) "foo" } NOTES
Note Variables of type resource couldn't be exported by this function. Note var_export(3) does not handle circular references as it would be close to impossible to generate parsable PHP code for that. If you want to do something with the full representation of an array or object, use serialize(3). Warning When var_export(3) exports objects, the leading backslash is not included in the class name of namespaced classes for maximum com- patibility. SEE ALSO
print_r(3), serialize(3), var_dump(3). PHP Documentation Group VAR_EXPORT(3)