Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please Help. Strings in file 1 need to be searched and removed from file 2 Post 302085647 by tmarikle on Friday 18th of August 2006 02:12:04 PM
Old 08-18-2006
awk is amazingly well suited for this kind of operation. I've seen a similar method to yours take several days on flat files containing ~ 20 million records (I can't recall exactly) and something similar to the following to less than 3 minutes.
Code:
nawk '
    # While processing records from file a (9000 lines)
    FILENAME=="file_a.txt" {
        # Record key value that should be excluded from file b
        Keys[$1]++
    }

# While processing records from file b (50000)
    FILENAME=="file_b.txt" {
        # Look up key value in keys collected from file a
        if (Keys[$1] == 0) {
            # If the key is not found in the key array, save in the delta file
            #print > "deltas.txt"
            print $0
        }
    }
' file_a.txt file_b.txt

I created a 9000 record test file (file_a.txt) and a 50000 record test file (file_b.txt) that consisted of one key field in each and the process took 1/5 second.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting file content into a searched pattern

Hi, i have to insert the content of source.txt into the searched pattern of the file second.txt. $cat source.txt One Two Three . . $cat second.txt This is second file pattern match start here pattern match end here end of the file so the result will be like this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
4 Replies

3. Linux

file removed

Hi Team, I have deleted a file accidentally by using rm command. I am not the root(admin) user. Can you please let me know how to get that .tex file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract two strings from a file and create a new file with these strings

I have the following lines in a log file. It would be great if some one can help me to create a new file with the just entries in the below format. 66.150.161.195 HPSAC=Z05 66.150.161.196 HPSAC=A05 That is just extract the IP address and the string DPSAC=its value 66.150.161.195 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut line from searched file if grep find neighbor columns

Hello All, While searching for the question, I found some answers but my implementation is not giving expected output. I have two files; one is sourcefile, other is named template. What I want to do is to search each line in template, when found all columns, cut the matching line from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

(g)awk: Matching strings from one file in another file between two strings

Hello all, I can get close to what I am looking for but cannot seem to hit it exactly and was wondering if I could get your help. I have the following sample from textfile with many thousands of lines: File 1 PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 L<G PS004,002 XNN PS004,006 BVX PS004,006 ZBX=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert text after the first occurance of searched string entry in a file

My server xml file has huge data part of which i'm sharing below. I wish to add the below text held by variable "addthisline" after the closing braces i.e --> once the first </Connector> tag is found. addthisline="I need to be inserted after the comments" Thus my searchstring is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Management: Removing of files from Server2 IF the same file is removed from Server1.

Hi Folks, I have a requirement of file management on different servers. Source Server is SERVER-A. Two servers will fetch files from SERVER-A: SERVER1 and SERVER2. 4th SERVER is SERVER-B, It will fetch files from SERVER1. If SERVER1 goes DOWN, SERVER-B will fetch pending files from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)