Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need for loop to do 2 activities Post 302084997 by dsravan on Monday 14th of August 2006 11:53:02 AM
Old 08-14-2006
Need for loop to do 2 activities

I need my for loop to do 2 things at a time. I have a script where I move the old files into archive directory and then i want to compress them. Presently I am using 2 for loops for it. How can i do it in 1 for loop.

Code:

Quote:
for file in $targetfilepattern ; do
mv "$file" $targetarchive
done
after this i am compresing them in another for loop:

Quote:
cd $targetarchive
for file in $targetfilepattern ; do
compress "$file"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Keeping an eye on all user activities

I am responsible for administering 6 Tru64UX servers. I need to keep an eye on all the commands executed by all the users. Is there a way where I can save the commands executed in a seperate folder and then keep checking the list every now and then. How can do it ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shauche
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts, I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build". None of the users know the passwd for this login. The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file. The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

patterns from logs and activities

hi, i need help writing shell scripts to define patterns of user activities on our apache. i thought about going through logfiles and other places where user activities are stored and use that data to define patterns of action. i want these patterns to be visualized then. now my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketkids
3 Replies

4. Solaris

restricting users privileges and logging their activities

Hello, I'm administrating new installed cluster that runs Legato Networker and Oracle 9. And I want to restrict the use of root to my self and givr the application and DBA the proper and needed privileges to do their duties without hassle in addition I would like to log users activities. my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_ksa
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to log into unix box and do a set of activities

Hi all, I want to automate a set of activities i am doing daily.the activities in the order are: 1.loging in to the unix box. 2.sudo su - tsiap, give pwd 3. cd appsrv 4. cd log 5. run the below cmd one by one, if you find any query which has run for more than 5 secs, open the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybersandex
1 Replies

6. Solaris

May i know the day to day activities of a Solaris system administrator?

Recently i have attended a telephonic interview. As i dont have work experience in solaris i was not able to deliver correct answer for this question. Your answer will help for the people like me who is looking to become Solaris System administrator. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for monitoring users activities

hi I need a shell script which runs perpetually in background and monitors different aspects of different users on different files and their usages for example say there r 3 users so i want when they log in i.e. their log in time and their file access, modify and change log of each file of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

8. Solaris

SYSLOGS - Where can I find FTP activities

Greetings to all. I need help from the experts. I have been given a FTP server script that runs all day, looking for files that are FTP'd to our machines. Its hoaky I know, but there are times that files are sent but somehow get lost. Is there a logfile I can view to see when files are received? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
1 Replies

9. SuSE

How do I make activities appear in SYSLOG file?

SUSE Linux 11 and 10 SP3. I am trying to capture some of my activities in SYSLOG file, /var/log/messages. To do this I created and dropped some test files and directories and users. But these activities are not captured in /var/log/messages. What should I do to make these activities... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDBA
7 Replies

10. Programming

DB2 z/os How to Track table delete Activities

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted entire table .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)