Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What is your favorite Linux distro? Post 302084960 by Danny_10 on Monday 14th of August 2006 10:40:46 AM
Old 08-14-2006
I voted SUSE, because out of all the other distributions, it was geared for both ease of use and bad-to-da-core development. I love YaST and it's unique way of managing hardware and software for Linux.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

7. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
YAST2(8)						       System configuration							  YAST2(8)

NAME
YaST2 - universal configuration utility SYNOPSIS
yast2 [ options ] [ module ] [ module specific options ] yast2 --install <package> [ <package> [ ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
YaST2 is used to configure the system. It can configure a common hardware (sound cards, printers, keyboards, mice), network connections (network cards, ISDN cards, modems, DSL connections), network clients and services (NFS, NIS), as well as a general system options (lan- guage, partitioning, software, bootloader). YaST2 comes with three frontends: GTK , QT and ncurses. All frontends are functionally equivalent. The correct frontend is selected auto- matically based on the available components and the current environment (the DISPLAY variable). Use yast2 alone to launch the YaST2 Control Center from which you can select a particular configuration module or use yast2 <module> to launch the module directly. OPTIONS
--qt Run YaST in the QT graphical frontend --gtk Run YaST in the GTK graphical frontend --ncurses Run YaST in the ncurses text-mode frontend -g, --geometry Default window size (QT frontend only). -h, --help Print a usage and exit. -i, --install <package> [ <package> [ ... ] ] Install an RPM package. The package can be a single short package name (e.g. gvim) which will be installed with dependency checking, or the full path to an rpm package (e.g /tmp/gvim.rpm) which will be installed without dependency checking. --remove <package> [ <package> [ ... ] ] Remove an RPM package. The package can be short package names (e.g. gvim) which will be removed with dependency checking. -l, --list List all available modules. To obtain usage info about a module, use "yast module help". MODULES WITH COMMAND LINE INTERFACE
This is a list of YaST modules currently supporting command line interface: answering_machine, bootloader, ca_mgm, dhcp-server, dns, dns-server, fax, firewall, groups, host, http-server, idedma, inetd, irda, ker- beros-client, keyboard, lan, language, ldap, mail, mouse, nfs, nfs_server, nis, nis_server, ntp-client, power-management, powertweak, printer, profile-manager, proxy, remote, routing, runlevel, samba-client, samba-server, security, sound, sysconfig, tftp-server, timezone, tv, users To obtain a list of basic commands for using a YaST module with support for command line interface, use: yast2 module help To get more comprehensive information about the commands available for a YaST module, use: yast2 module longhelp To get information about the commands available for a YaST module in a XML formatted file, use: yast2 module xmlhelp xmlfile= <filename> To get information about a specific command of a YaST module, use: yast2 module command help To start an interactive console in which you can execute commands of a YaST module, use yast2 module interactive FILES
/var/log/YaST2/* Logs /etc/sysconfig/yast2, $HOME/.yast2/yast2 Configures the preferred GUI. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful program execution. 1 Too few arguments. 5 Error in arguments. 16 Generic module error. > 16 Module specific error codes. AUTHOR
Michal Svec <msvec@suse.cz> - manual page Jakub Friedl <jfriedl@suse.cz> - manual page SEE ALSO
Documentation in /usr/share/doc/packages/yast2*. yast2 January 2003 YAST2(8)