Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to change root's .profile settings Post 302083662 by FredSmith on Monday 7th of August 2006 02:40:32 PM
Old 08-07-2006
How to change root's .profile settings

As a regular (non-root) user on Unix servers I'm accustomed to changing my .profile file to set paths that I frequently use, etc.

I am trying to learn unix and set up a test server running SunOS 5.8. When I login as root I don't see a .profile file that belongs to root wherein I could change the default shell, path variables, etc.

What am I missing? How do I create the file, or is it somewhere I'm not looking in?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

.profile for root ?

Hi friends, On a Solaris system is the .profile executed for the user root also as it is for any normal user ? if i have to change the PATH variable can i add it to the .profile? and by default ther .profile is not found in the / directory. i can see it in /etc as /etc/profile. Should i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

2. Solaris

how do I change locale settings?

I support a product which writes to log files and it's currently formatting the date in US format. I've established this is due to these settings: account1# locale -k d_fmt t_fmt d_fmt="%m/%d/%y" t_fmt="%H:%M:%S" If I log on with a different account the settings are different: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m223464
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.profile settings

I need to configure my .profile so that it should always reflect my present directory path during my session. How can i do that. Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satgur
1 Replies

4. Solaris

trying to add .profile for root

I am trying to add a .profile for root I cd to / do vi .profile and get /var/tmp/ExGXaaqa Read only file system... What does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liven
4 Replies

5. Solaris

After giving Bash the .profile settings are not working

I am using Solaris ... I have some settings in my .profile and in .profile iam calling some scripts. After i logged in to that box if i gave "bash" and proceed with my shorcuts(alias) are not working . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
3 Replies

6. AIX

Settings change in aix

Hi Can any one tell the procedure to change the maxpout and minpout settings on AIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Change user settings..

Hi, I have 48 cores in my server. I want to assign 50% of the cores to certain programs and rest to some other programms. I found the command "taskset" very good option to assign cpu afinity to already running programms or newly created programms. But the problem is even if i set a cron to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rantu
1 Replies

8. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[All variants] Change settings

Hi, I have a big settings confg (file attached). There are a few separate tasks that I have to accomplish. All scripting/programming languages are appreciated. 1. I need to parse all values and output to stdout. Sample output (truncated): VALUEA 2017-01-01 Lores ipsum Lorem ipsum dolor sit... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: useretail
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
WICD-WIRED-SETTINGS.CONF(5)					File Formats Manual				       WICD-WIRED-SETTINGS.CONF(5)

NAME
wicd-wired-settings.conf - controls Wicd's wired network settings DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration information for wired interfaces in Wicd. This file is located at /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf SETTINGS
default = <0|1> This option decides whether to use this profile as the default. 0 = do not use this profile as default. 1 = use this profile as default. beforescript = <None|arbitrary_script> This defines a script to run before Wicd brings up the connection. The script should be a Bourne-compatible script and should be executable. IMPORTANT - scripts should ONLY be writable by root and located in a directory that is only writable by root. afterscript = <None|arbitrary_script> This defines a script to run after Wicd brings up the connection. The script should be a Bourne-compatible script and should be executable. IMPORTANT - scripts should ONLY be writable by root and located in a directory that is only writable by root. predisconnectscript = <None|arbitrary_script> This defines a script to run before Wicd disconnects the interface. The script should be a Bourne-compatible script and should be executable. postdisconnectscript = <None|arbitrary_script> This defines a script to run after Wicd disconnects the interface. The script should be a Bourne-compatible script and should be executable. IMPORTANT - scripts should ONLY be writable by root and located in a directory that is only writable by root. ip = <None|ip_address> Use this option if you have a static ip address for your system. netmask = <None|networkmask> This setting is only appropriate if a static ip address is configured above. broadcast = <None|broadcast_address> This setting is only appropriate if a static ip address is configured above. gateway = <None|gateway_address> This setting is only appropriate if a static ip address is configured above. use_static_dns = <True|False> True = use static DNS servers instead of accepting what the dhcp server supplies. use_global_dns = <True|False> True = use the global DNS servers provided in wicd-manager-settings.conf(5). This option is only appropriate if "use_static_dns = True" dns1 = <None|ip_address> Static DNS address if "use_static_dns = True" and "use_global_dns = False" dns2 = <None|ip_address> Static DNS address if "use_static_dns = True" and "use_global_dns = False" dns3 = <None|ip_address> Static DNS address if "use_static_dns = True" and "use_global_dns = False" SEE ALSO
wicd(8), wicd-curses(8), wicd-manager-settings.conf(5), wicd-wireless-settings.conf(5). wicd-1.7.2.4 WICD-WIRED-SETTINGS.CONF(5)