Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shutdown
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shutdown Post 302082848 by RTM on Thursday 3rd of August 2006 09:07:15 AM
Old 08-03-2006
After looking through the SCO man pages I don't see a poweroff command. The only mention of 'power' in the init man page is as follows:

Quote:
If init receives a power failure signal (SIGPWR), it scans /etc/inittab for special entries of the type powerfail or powerwait. These entries are invoked (if the run-level permits this) before any further processing takes place. In this way init can perform various cleanup and recording functions during the powerdown of the operating system.
The 'poweroff' command was mention in a few articles on aplawrence.com (example ). Although I admit it's almost impossible to read with the new set up the site has. They may not even be writing about SCO in this article, which I must apoligize for.

There is a haltsys and uadmin command which normally should not be used - but the uadmin man page shows an option for pwrnap - A UPS or the BIOS-APM has detected a power outage; do not reboot until power returns. If possible, the machine is turned off.

Note, the uadmin man page states "if possible, the machine is turned off" - it all comes back to the hardware.

Last edited by RTM; 08-03-2006 at 10:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to shutdown

Hai Could somebody tell me the solution to my problem. the question is as follows there is one unix server and 100 dummy terminals connected to my server, i want to shutdown client system if some of the client forgetten to power down their system. plez provide me the code for that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown script

Hi Guys, I want to execute few of my bash script, so that whenever someone calls shutdown now -r command, I want my script to execute first before shutting down. Any help please????? I've just started playing with the unix system, so far its been brilliant.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_manic
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

True Shutdown help!

ok, i know the syntax that goes along with the Shutdown command... but my box never wants to ... well... shutdown.. it only halts, kills all the process's, stalls the comp to a complete stop, but does actually kill the monitor and/or shut off the physical computer. it will reboot properly though,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 01000101
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A script for shutdown

I want to make a script to shutdown a unixware computer from other user then root. In Sco version i use "as root" but in the unixware i don't know. Please help me. 10x (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelu
12 Replies

5. AIX

server is getting shutdown

Hi Guys, Please help in this...when we start HACMP services ..server is getting shutdon. Error mesg from cluster.log. Apr 14 08:43:27 bascop17 snmpd: NOTICE: SMUX trap: (0 0) (127.0.0.1+46302+1) Apr 14 08:43:33 bascop17 topsvcs: (Recorded using libct_ffdc.a cv 2):::Error ID:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'shutdown' and 'cat'

Hi All, This is actually a good interview question. On linux, the permissions and group for 'shutdown' and 'cat' is the same. -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18K 2008-05-21 10:43 shutdown -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17K 2007-01-30 19:51 cat Then why is it that a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsiddharth
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shutdown Script

Im writing a script to read a file called shutdown.cf and shut down any scripts that are listed there. I have came up with the following based on things I saw in similar programs but it doesn not work: Has anybody any idea what I may be doing wrong? Cheers Paul (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
4 Replies

9. AIX

Server Shutdown

Hi, is it possible to find out ip address of user who has shutdown or rebooted the server , I have used the command errpt -a , in that it is showing server rebooted but it is not showing ip address who has shutdown the serve, even I have used command last reboot. Please suggest. Regards, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

10. AIX

plink shutdown

Hi, I'm testing out this plink script - which will be executed to shutdown multiple LPARs. This consists from: plink -i /path/ssh/cert/ root@host shutdown -F plink -i /path/ssh/cert/ root@host2 shutdown -F The commands gets executed, however it stops on one host, and does not move... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
6 Replies
Bio::Graphics::Glyph::lightning(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Bio::Graphics::Glyph::lightning(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Graphics::Glyph::lightning - The "lightning" glyph SYNOPSIS
See L<Bio::Graphics::Panel> and L<Bio::Graphics::Glyph>. DESCRIPTION
This glyph draws a lightning bolt of specified height with relative width, with the point of the lightning bolt centered on the feature. The height of the bolt is specified by the "height" option. Due to the complexity of this glyph, it doesn't resolve well with heights less than 11 pixels. This glyph was designed to indicate point mutations on a nucleotide or protein backbone. OPTIONS The following options are standard among all Glyphs. See Bio::Graphics::Glyph for a full explanation. Option Description Default ------ ----------- ------- -fgcolor Foreground color black -outlinecolor Synonym for -fgcolor -bgcolor Background color turquoise -fillcolor Synonym for -bgcolor -linewidth Line width 1 -height Height of glyph 10 -font Glyph font gdSmallFont -connector Connector type 0 (false) -connector_color Connector color black -label Whether to draw a label 0 (false) -description Whether to draw a description 0 (false) -hilite Highlight color undef (no color) The following options are specific to this Glyph. Option Description Default ------ ----------- ------- -orient direction of lightning bolt N BUGS
No reported bugs. SEE ALSO
Bio::Graphics::Panel, Bio::Graphics::Glyph, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::cds, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::crossbox, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::diamond, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::dna, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::dot, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::ellipse, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::extending_arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::generic, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::graded_segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::heterogeneous_segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::line, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::pinsertion, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::primers, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::rndrect, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::ruler_arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::toomany, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::transcript, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::transcript2, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::translation, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::triangle, Bio::DB::GFF, Bio::SeqI, Bio::SeqFeatureI, Bio::Das, GD AUTHOR
Todd Harris <harris@cshl.org> Copyright (c) 2004 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See DISCLAIMER.txt for disclaimers of warranty. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-20 Bio::Graphics::Glyph::lightning(3pm)