Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Squid 2.6STABLE1 and IE6 SP2
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo Squid 2.6STABLE1 and IE6 SP2 Post 302081779 by this213 on Thursday 27th of July 2006 04:42:49 PM
Old 07-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard
I tested by setting the suggested http 1.1 setting and that allowed the proxy to work. The problem I'm facing is that our Windows admin is positive there is no way to set this for all the browsers centrally.
You can do exactly this from within your AD DC. Depending on the policies you currently have, you may have to create a new policy specifically for this. See http://www.mensys.nl/netop/docs/NNF_deployment.pdf for the general directions.

On a different note, I would seriously question anything I was using that only allowed me to use IE (as opposed to any other browser). Chances are, you have no real reason to even have to use Windows in a corporate environment, especially if your applications are already web-based. Since your critical applications are web based (I'm guessing due to your professed "need"), someone messed up one of the main reasons to have web-based applications to begin with. That being the ability to connect using cheaper, non-proprietary, platform independant clients.

On yet another note, if your Windows systems admin doesn't know how to apply group policies to a corporate AD domain, they either need to be replaced or trained or your whole network should be migrated to Linux (mainly for security reasons). IMO Windows doesn't belong on a corporate network to begin with, but if you're not using AD to its full potential someone in charge over there really needs to take another look at the way your infrastructure is operating. I don't mean for this to sound rude, nor am I trying to spout the "joys of open source solutions" to you. Rather, I'm giving you sound advice which may stop a future incident from crippling your infrastructure (and perhaps costing people jobs).

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 dualboot with Win Xp sp2 ....Plz help !!!!!

Hi All , I am new to solaris & i would like to explore it to taste a flavour of Unix. Before I installed I did a lot of googling as I did not want to play with the data i have on win XP & finally installed Solaris in a dual mode option along with Win XP. These are the steps i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codewarrior
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Cygwin on Windows XP SP2

Please can anyone help me with how to install cygwin on a windows Xp SP2 platform, I cant seem to get it to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where are the repositories located in SUSE SLES 10 SP2

Hi, In SUSE SLES 10 SP2 where are the software repositories located? In CENTOS they are in /etc/yum.repositories or something like that. What does SLES use? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse 10 SP2 VNC Password

hi guys I've configured some CentOS where you can set a password for VNC and that password is requested before connecting to the normal user login But I found that Suse 10 SP3 has no such thing basically it has this configuration under /etc/xinetd.d/vnc service vnc1 { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Squid vs iptables = no Squid access.log?

Hello, I have a pretty useless satellite link at home (far from any civilization), so I wanted to set up caching in order to speed things up. My Squid 2.6 runs "3128 transparent" and is set up quite well on a separate machine. I also have my dd-wrt router to move all port 80 traffic through... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: theWojtek
0 Replies

6. Fedora

Install memcached on Suse 11 SP2

hi guys I am trying to install this extension for php named memcached but I am not really able to do it PECL :: Package :: memcached I have Suse 11 SP2 installed without any registration (I mean installed not paying subscription) so my question is there a way to install it like in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sometimes getting SP2-0734 error message

Hi All, Once I try to execute the below script,it will execute the script and it will generate the output file. Sometimes,it got executed successfully and generate the output file.. sometimes,it got executed and generate the output with error message as ********************************* Top of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenk768
3 Replies
squid_unix_group(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       squid_unix_group(8)

NAME
squid_unix_group - Squid UNIX Group external_acl helper SYNOPSIS
squid_unix_group [-g groupname] [-g groupname...] [-p] DESCRIPTION
This helper allows Squid to base access controls on users memberships in UNIX groups. -g groupname Specifies a group name to match. -p Also match the users primary group from /etc/passwd EXAMPLES
This squid.conf example defines two Squid acls. usergroup1 matches users in group1, and usergroup2 matches users in group2 or group3 external_acl_type unix_group %LOGIN /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid_unix_group -p acl usergroup1 external unix_group group1 acl usergroup2 external unix_group group2 group3 NOTES
By default up to 11 groups can be matched in one acl (including commandline specified groups). This limit is defined by MAX_GROUPS in the source code. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> squid_unix_group is written by Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@geekbunker.org> KNOWN ISSUES
Does not understand gid aliased groups sometimes used to work around groups size limitations. If you are using gid aliased groups then you must specify each alias by name. QUESTIONS
Any questions on usage can be sent to Squid Users <squid-users@squid-cache.org> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs or bug-fixes to Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@geekbunker.org> or Squid Developers <squid-dev@squid-cache.org> SEE ALSO
group(5),passwd(5) Squid UNIX Group helper 12 August 2002 squid_unix_group(8)