Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to find all processes that are running Post 302078625 by Hitori on Monday 3rd of July 2006 10:39:53 AM
Old 07-03-2006
Nothing at all. Something like quote Smilie. I've meant look at man page ps(1)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting certain info for all processes currently running

i am writing a utility that displays information about all the running processes in the /proc directory. I do not know how to get the following information for each of the processes in the /proc directory: -effective user id -effective user name -effective group id -effective group name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
3 Replies

2. Programming

parsing currently running processes

Hey guys, I'm writing a monitoring program that reads the pattern and the max and min number of instances of a process and then proceeds to parse the currently running processes for the pattern. I just want to know how I should go about this. I'll give you an idea of the flow of the program:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

identifying running processes

how to identify the processes running by giving the parent process id (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in running two processes in parellel

I have a script something like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh CLASSPATH=/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2java.zip:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2jcc.jar:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/function:$CLASSPATH export CLASSPATH ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

9. Linux

Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find the number of processes running on root?

Is there a certain man command I'm missing here? I searched in ps but I couldn't find something that would give me the number of processes running on root. I only want to see the number of processes, not the processes itself. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l3monz
2 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)