Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Can you set up a networked printer as a local print queue? Post 302078168 by alexop on Wednesday 28th of June 2006 11:35:33 AM
Old 06-28-2006
Can you set up a networked printer as a local print queue?

Fairly simple question, I think. Still trying to get my head around AIX print queues. Most of our problems seem to stem from print queues going down. This generates help-desk calls when users call up to get their queues started or to get rid of the emails that qdaemon sends them.

Looking at the reference for the 'qconfig' file I though that setting the 'recovery_type' option to 'retry' would solve my problems, however it seems this option is only available for 'local' type print queues. Below is the entry for an example printer (networked OKI ML5520), is there any way to have these set up as 'local' printers so I can take advantage of the 'retry' recovery type?

Many thanks,

Alex

0020pa01:
device = @0020pa01
up = TRUE
host = 0020pa01
s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdshort
l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdlong
rq = lp
@0020pa01:
backend = /usr/lib/lpd/rembak -T7200

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.2 print to a local printer

HHi guys . I have this problem ,I'm trying to print to a local machine (windows from the aix box , I;m using tiny Term Emulator) I mean i have no idea what should i do to get this going. The printer is connect it to the pc , it does not have an ip address. Thanks a lot Jose (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Help adding a printer queue

Hello, I need some help on the following issue: Need to have a printer queue added to the "sssssss" server.The IP address is "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". It is an HP8000 printer. Can you please point me to the right direction. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
0 Replies

3. AIX

Printer Queue not getting created

When I try to create first print queue in this system with the command line argument, find the output also... # /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomkjetd mkpq_jetdirect -p 'generic' -D pcl -q 'AR06_Workcenter_32' -h 'AR06_Workcenter_32' -x '9100' 0782-606 /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomgpdev: Error 'A file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giribt
1 Replies

4. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To print directly from the remote server to a local printer.

Hello Guys Is there any way To print a file directly from the remote server to a local printer.. ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
3 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot setup a printer queue

So I've got this asc file that someone sent me for setting up a Zebra printer on AIX. When I use smit or the command line I get this error when I try to setup the printer up: File /usr/lib/lpd/pio/predef/master does not exist. The master file is there. This only happens when I setup a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hurmoth
2 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with Queue of the Printer

Guy's This is the Queue of the printer ... >lpstat -pTOPPRINTER Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- --------- --- ------------------ ---------- ---- -- ----- --- --- TOPPRIN @TOPP DOWN QUEUED ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] a way to tell printer used by configured print queue?

Hello; As the title says, am trying to find our which driver is used for the alraedy working print queues.. neither hpnpf nor hppi seems to give that info .. Any ideas ?? Thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer queue not clearing

Hi I have installed an HP X451dw printer on our network and want to print from Sco Openserver v6 The printer produces correct output but then repeats until the queue is manually stopped. :confused: It is using a netcat/dumb interface Any advice on how to persuade it to only print once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: David Holmes
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remote print from SLES (SAP) to AIX 7.1 04 sp2 virtual printer queue gets down

Hello Administrators. I have a bit difficult problem. I have local virtual printer that has backend defined in /etc/qconf to script which in turns sends the spool to the real device. whenever I print locally (from sap) the print works as it should. The printer queue after the print is done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deneth
6 Replies
PSF(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    PSF(8)

NAME
psf - PostScript filter SYNOPSIS
psf [ -n name ] [ -h host ] [ -w width ] [ -l length ] [ -i indent ] [ -c ] DESCRIPTION
psf is an lpd filter for PostScript printing. psf interprets the name it was called with to determine what filters to invoke. First, if the string ``pap'' appears anywhere in the name, psf invokes pap to talk to a printer via AppleTalk. Next, if the string ``rev'' appears, psf invokes psorder to reverse the pages of the job. Finally, if psf was called with a filter's name as the leading string, it invokes that filter. If there is no filter to run, psf examines the magic number of the input, and if the input is not PostScript, converts it to Post- Script. KLUDGE
In the default configuration, psf supports two kludges. The first causes psf to check its name for the letter `m'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap twice, once to get an initial page count and to print the job, and another time to get a final page count. This is a work-around for bugs in a variety of PAP implementions that cause printers to never properly close the PAP output file. A notable example is any printer by Hewlett-Packard. The second kludge causes psf to examine its name for the letter `w'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap with the -w flag. This flag causes pap to wait until the printer's status contains the string `idle'. Once this string is found, the job is printed as normal. This kludge is a work-around for printers, notably Hewlett-Packard's LaserJet IV, which will report a page count while a previous jobs is still printing. EXAMPLE
The sample printcap entry below invokes psf to print text files, PostScript files, troff's C/A/T output, and TeX's DVI output, to an AppleTalk connected LaserWriter Plus. Since the LaserWriter Plus stacks pages in descending order, we reverse the pages and print the burst page last. laser|lp|LaserWriter Plus on AppleTalk: :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/laser: :lp=/usr/spool/lpd/laser/null: :lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl: :of=/usr/lib/filters/ofpap: :if=/usr/lib/filters/ifpaprev: :tf=/usr/lib/filters/tfpaprev: :df=/usr/lib/filters/dfpaprev: Note that if the host in question spools to more than one AppleTalk printer, /dev/null should not be used for the lp capability. Instead, a null device should be created with mknod for each printer, as has been done above. Finally, there is a file in the spool directory, /var/spool/lpd/laser, called .paprc, which pap reads for the AppleTalk name of the printer. SEE ALSO
psorder(1), printcap(5), lpd(8), mknod(8), pap(8). netatalk 1.2 17 Dec 1991 PSF(8)