Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX umask setting on a logon script Post 302077479 by karthikosu on Thursday 22nd of June 2006 12:38:28 PM
Old 06-22-2006
thanks

thanks very much for your help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting umask in FreeBSD 5.4

Hi, I need to change my umask from 22 to 0022. FreeBSD 5.4 has different way of looking at 22 and 0022. Untill 4.11 stable 022 and 0022 were same. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Jimmy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
0 Replies

2. Linux

setting daemon umask

I was asked to change the daemon umask on my RHEL4 machine. so, i changed the /etc/init.d/functions file. Does this take effect right away? I dont think it does, how can i get it to take affect without rebooting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logon script

Hi: I am wondering if anyone has a logon script to be put in /etc/profile or environments that will display the logged on username and path? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

umask setting

dear all, i'm trying to set the default permission using umask commnd. i'm using bash shell and the permission of the .bash_profile file is -rwxr-x--- 1 tdmscrdr dba 370 Nov 7 12:21 .bash_profile but still i'm not able to change the default permissiom. in the .bash_profile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UMASK setting

How can we set the Sticky bit in the umask itself. Please help me :confused: I tried to set like umask 1000 but when I run umask, the value of umask is 00 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geniman2004
0 Replies

6. AIX

default umask setting during ftp

Hi all, How do i change the default primary group of files uploaded in AIX (via ftp) in such a way that the files will be owned by tom:staff? I understand that the default file permission can be set in /etc/profile for aix by adding a new line umask=032 Do I add a line in umask as well?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting umask 022 by default to my profile

Hello everyone, I want to set my properties of my profile to umask 022 by default. I have an idea that i need to make the change in .profile file. Can you please help me, on how would i be able to set it. Thanks, Abhishek S. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting default permissions without umask or cron jobs

I've got a number of people sending files to me in different directory structures, and users on many different groups who need access to these incoming paths. My problem is that umask assumes a default of 666 for files. No execute bit, meaning that my users can't even see the incoming folders.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default umask setting during ftp AIX

Hi, I have set below option in following file /etc/inetd.conf in AIX. ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd -u 2 But still it created the file with permission (640): -rw-r----- 1 ftptosas ftpusrg 6091 Jul 28 12:23 diff_061920.txt Required permission... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mageshpsv01
1 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)