Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SuSE parted problem
Operating Systems Linux SuSE SuSE parted problem Post 302076347 by Mudrack on Monday 12th of June 2006 11:10:52 AM
Old 06-12-2006
SuSE parted problem

Hello,

So, I burned the 5 cds of SuSE 10.1, and would really like to begin installation.

But when I get to the partitioning phase, I get an error message saying the first hard drive is unreadable by parted, and that I'll have to use Yast instead. It also tells me I wont be able to move delete create etc. partitions, just format.

The device I'm talking about is a Samsung SP0411N, and has an NTFS from the beginning, and 7.8GB of unformatted space at the end.

BTW, the installer detects my other drive wich is certainly great, but it is a 3.8GB one, and slow as hell, so it won't do.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited by Mudrack; 06-12-2006 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typo in line 3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SuSE 8.1 NIC problem

i have just installed suse 8.1 on a third computer which has an Asus p4s8x with onboard NIC and sound. now, on install suse detected everything automatically with no probelm, however upon reboot the sound failed to load as well as the network card. /dev/eth* doesnt exist. i looked in the bios and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suse 9.0 problem video

i got a NV11 geForce2 100/200 and suse 9.0 pro boot the kernal but then the screen goes blank and nothing else can't install suse 9.0 pro and grabs for this problem x will not come up at all just the boot screen with rez and so on but once i tell it to install thats i have a nec multisync... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3bumbs plumming
6 Replies

3. SuSE

Setup Problem with SUSE Linux

I setup SUSE Linux 10. I downloaded from SUSE website. A DVD version. But I have a problem: Please click to see the screen shots Shot 1: (Problem is here, with Software) http://www.vernoos.net/shot-1.jpg Shot 2: http://www.vernoos.net/shot-2.jpg Shot 3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HASSELBLAD
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

5. SuSE

GUI problem with Suse Linux

hi Guys,, Am very new to Linux OS.. This is my first experience with Linux. I have installed linux suse 10 in my laptop.it was working fine.. suddenly after 3 days,(i was changing some options of the already installed linux) when i login, i am getting only command interface and GUI is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

6. SuSE

problem of readdir on IA64 suse

Dear Experts, i am trying to find whether the given name is file or a directory dirp = opendir(dirname); direntp = readdir(dirp); if(direntp->d_type & DT_DIR) { printf("\n is a dirctory"); } else { //dir_or_file = Mtrue; printf("\n not a directory"); } it always... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
9 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAID Problem on SUSE 11.0

I setup a RAID 5 with 5 drives, one failed, hardware failure so I physically removed it from the raid after powering the machine off then powered it back on and my raid was still good but no 5th drive. I built a 5th drive from scratch and added it in the raid thinking the raid would go into... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacakid
0 Replies

8. Solaris

installation problem solaris,windows,suse on same machine

Hi all, Previously I had both opensuse 11.3 and Windows XP SP2 on my PC, there was no problem at all.I was able to access all documents in Windows from opensuse. Now when I wanted to install solaris 10 on the same machine there were 2 problems ... 1. Windows is not accessible from solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse Linux 11.4 networkmanager problem

I am a newbie to Suse linux and was trying to configure internet on my 11.4 suse linux system . I followed a post according to which i uninstalled my NetworkManger library . Later i realised that the real reason for wireless not working on my system was that my wireless driver firmware was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihatetoregister
0 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Suse Linux enterprise 10 - booting problem

Hi, It was happened to close my laptop without proper shutdown due to power failure with USB device connected to it. (removed the USB after shut down) After this incident, I was not able to boot my suse linux OS. Initial study reveals that the device is not unmounted properly and shows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prabhu V
2 Replies
build(1)						      General Commands Manual							  build(1)

NAME
build - build SuSE Linux RPMs in a chroot environment SYNOPSIS
build [--clean|--no-init] [--rpms path1:path2:...] [--arch arch1:arch2:...] [--root buildroot] [specfile|srcrpm] build --help build --verify DESCRIPTION
build is a tool to build SuSE Linux RPMs in a safe and clean way. build will install a minimal SuSE Linux as build system into some direc- tory and will chroot to this system to compile the package. This way you don't risk to corrupt your working system (due to a broken spec file for example), even if the package does not use BuildRoot. build searches the spec file for a BuildRequires: line; if such a line is found, all the specified rpms are installed. Otherwise a selec- tion of default packages are used. Note that build doesn't automatically resolve missing dependencies, so the specified rpms have to be sufficient for the build. If a spec file is specified on the command line, build will use this file and all other files in the directory for building the package. If a srcrpm is specified, build automatically unpacks it for the build. If neither is given, build will use all the specfiles in the current directory. OPTIONS
--clean remove the build system and reinitialize it from scratch. --no-init skip the build system initialization and start with build immediately. --list-state list rpms that would be used to create a fresh build root. Does not create the build root or perform a build. --rpms path1:path2:path3... Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs needed to create the build system. This option overrides the BUILD_RPMS environment vari- able. --arch arch1:arch2:arch3... What architectures to select from the RPMs. build automatically sets this to a sensible value for your host if you don't specify this option. --root buildroot Specifies where the build system is set up. Overrides the BUILD_ROOT enviroment variable. --useusedforbuild Tell build not to do dependency expansion, but to extract the list of packages to install from "# usedforbuild" lines or, if none are found, from all "BuildRequires" lines. This option is useful if you want to re-build a package from a srcrpm with exactly the same packages used for the srcrpm build. --norootforbuild --help Print a short help text. --verify verify the files in an existing build system. .spec FILE OPTIONS The build command interprets some special control comments in the specfile: # norootforbuild # needsrootforbuild build uses either user root or user abuild in the build system to do the build. For non-SUSE distros as well as since SUSE 10.2, the default build user is abuild. For 10.2 and before, the default build user is root. These two flags in the spec file allow to deviate from the defaults and force-set the build user to abuild and root (for # norootforbuild and # needsrootforbuild respec- tively. # needsbinariesforbuild provide the binary rpms that have been used to set up the build root in /.build.binaries within the build root. ENVIRONMENT
BUILD_ROOT The directory where build should install the chrooted build system. "/var/tmp/build-root" is used by default. BUILD_RPMS Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs. build needs them to create the build system. "/media/dvd/suse" is the default value which will do the trick if you have the SuSE Linux DVD mounted. BUILD_RPM_BUILD_STAGE The rpm build stage (-ba, -bb, ...). This is just passed through to rpm, check the rpm manpage for a complete list and descrip- tions. "-ba" is the default. You can use this to add more options to RPM. SEE ALSO
rpm(1), Maximum RPM: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ cross distribution packaging: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to SUSE packaging standards and guidelines: http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging (c) 1997-2008 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany build(1)