Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sending mails with attachment and also some text in mail body Post 302074467 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 23rd of May 2006 11:29:14 AM
Old 05-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by guptan
The input for uuencode is 'unix2dos -ascii $REPORTFILE '
and the output is $PCFILE which is $REPORTFILE.xls
decode_pathname is must

man uuencode

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending attachment thru a mail

Is there any way we can send file attachemnts through mails from a unix server. Does the 'mail' command have such an option ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rohini Vijay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX send mail with HTML message body and a binary attachment

I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command line switch to specify file name of a binary attachment 3. command line or input file to specify... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
4 Replies

3. AIX

Command line/Script to send E-mail with HTML body and binary attachment

I apoligize for the cross-post but I'm not getting much in the way of help in the dummies forum: I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to attach text in body of email while sending mail with attachment

Hi, We have been trying to send mail with attachment and it is going fine, but when we try to attach a text to the body of the email, we find that the mail is going fine with the body text but the attachment is not going through. We are using ksh. The command that is successfull without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

send attachment and body in one mail using mailx

Hi, Our requirement is to send an attachment and content in a single mail. I am using the below command to send attachement. --------------------- (uuencode $exp_file $exp_file) |mailx -s "$email_subject" $EmailRecipients -------------------- I m not able to send any message in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix mail body with attachment

How can I send mail with attachment in HP-UX I am able to send mail with specific body,but not successful while attaching a file. I am using the below command however it stuck : uuencode test.txt |mailx -s "Subject" <e-mail id> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamadak
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending email with attachment and body

Hi I want to able to attach a file to a email and send it with a body the body of the email is within the "body" file, and the attachment in "atch" if i send like below it will send the email correctly /usr/sbin/sendmail me@you.com< body And when i send the attachment alone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridanu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sending mail with attachment

Hi, I am using Sun solaris OS unix server I am trying to send mail with an attachment using below script cat test.txt;uuencode test.txt test.txt|mailx -s "$subject" someone@somewhere I m getting mails but with no attachment. Hence i manipulate the script as below and i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in UNIX with body and attachment(.txt) using sendmail command

Hi All, In my .ksh script, I am sending an email with body and attachment (.txt) using sendmail command. I am able to receive the attachement along with the body of the mail. But I am getting special characters along with the content in the .txt. Also the alignment is incorrect. Can you please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRR
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sending email with message body and attachment

Hello experts!! I am trying to send an email with message body and attachment.but i am getting any one like message body or attachment. I tried below command: (echo "subject:test";echo "MIME-Version: 1.0";echo "content-transfer-encoding:base 64";echo "content-type:txt;name=test.txt";cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devipriya Ch
2 Replies
MIME message tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      MIME message tool(1)

NAME
mime-tool - a simple program to construct MIME messages with attached files SYNOPSIS
mime [ -dDvV ] [ -S subject ] [ -F from-address ] [ -T to-address ] [ -C carbon-copy address ] [ -P prolog-text ] [ -E epiplogue-text ] [ -B boundry ] [ -O overall content-type ] { [ -78abiquxopm ] [ -t content-type ] filename } DESCRIPTION
The mime program constructs MIME messages with attached files. The user can specify the content type (application/octet-stream, text/plain or a user specified type), content type encoding (7bit, 8bit, binary, base64 and auto-detect), content disposition (attached or inline) and the content boundry string. The user can also specify some mail related options: subject, from-address, to-addres, carbon-copy addres, prolog-text and epilog-text. The output of the MIME-tool program can be sent directly to the mail, mailx or sendmail commands (or any other command that accepts RFC-822 formatted messages). NOTE: Specifying 7-bit encoding for an attachment that contains 8-bit data will convert any data bytes whose high-bit is set to question marks. OPTIONS
-7 7-bit ASCII encoding -8 8-bit ASCII encoding -a application/octet-stream content type -b binary encoding -d low detail debugging -D high detail debugging -s write a subpart -i disposition: inline (instead of attachment) -q quoted-printable encoding -c content-type explicit content type -t text/plain content type -o omit disposition line -u unknown encoding, auto-detect -v verbose messages -V very verbose messages -x base64 encoding -p copy existing MIME part -o omit content-disposition -m omit content-transfer-encoding -n filename override the filename in the disposition header -N don't add a filename parameter in the disposition header -0 no-op EXAMPLES
Using MIME-tool to write a mail message to a file: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net -T someone@somewhere.net file1 > test.msg Using MIME-tool with the mail command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | mail someone@somewhere.net Using MIME-tool with the mailx command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | mailx someone@somewhere.net Using MIME-tool with the sendmail command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | sendmail someone@somewhere.net VERSION
This is version 1.5.topal3 from June 2009. KNOWN BUGS
Most of the header values are not properly quoted or folded, so long or complex values for these headers may cause problems. Specifically, the from-address, to-address, carbon-copy-address and content-type headers may not be properly quoted or folded. For some reason, certain e-mail clients (espcially from a large software company located in Redmond, Washington) don't seem to recognize file attachments as attachments, but instead displays them as inline attachments. (maybe this isn't MIME-tool's fault, but I've gotten a few e-mails about it, so I'm mentioning it here) AUTHOR
mime is written by Jeffrey Dutky <dutky@bellatlantic.net> Oscar Esteban spotted an off-by-one error in the base64 encoding function. Sergey Lapin spotted a bug in the filename header construction. Chris Hemphill noticed that the documentation (this manual page and the README file) didn't include any examples of how to call the program with common mail commands. Some additional fixes and additions by Phil Brooke to support Topal. AVAILABILITY
The original MIME-tool package can be downloaded from my web page at http://members.bellatlantic.net/~dutky This modified version is distributed with Topal: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.brooke/topal/ MIME tool mime MIME message tool(1)