Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS not resolving
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users DNS not resolving Post 302073383 by Mr Pink on Friday 12th of May 2006 11:17:23 AM
Old 05-12-2006
under hosts : it says files dns

Unless somethings missing somewhere else Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Resolving ip, detective work

How can someone figure out what the DNS is for an ip? Such as, if I find an ip, 201.142.133.194 or something like that, how can I track down what the domain is? Such as investigating webstats and such, who's visiting what site and all? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Resolving port 8080 in DNS

Hi I have my DNS servers (BIND 8) running on two Solaris 8 boxes. I need to be able to resolve an address blah.xxx.net to an IP address followed by :8080 - (for Tomcat). I tried doing this in my zone file but it failed. Can someone give me a pointer on where this configuration should be done?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: korfnz
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in resolving Compilation error

state_field state_abvr = { "AL","ALABAMA", "AK","ALASKA", "AZ","ARIZONA", "AR","ARKANSAS", "CA","CALIFORNIA", "CO","COLORADO", "CT","CONNECTICUT", "DE","DELAWARE", "DC","DISTRICT-OF-COLUMBIA", "FL","FLORIDA", "GA","GEORGIA", "HI","HAWAII", "ID","IDAHO", "IL","ILLINOIS",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

Newbie BIND DNS question: resolving upstream hosts?

Old skool UNIX and Linux geek here, but newbie to the world of DNS and bind. I've recently been tasked with replacing our DNS infrastructure, currently on Windows, with a RHEL based solution. And I assume that means using bind, which I've not used before. Here's my question: Suppose our company... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

8. AIX

Use of /etc/hosts files in resolving the dns name

Hello, For what purpose /etc/hosts file is used.I mean how any request coming to a DNS server or a switch would know that which name and ip are configured in /etc/hosts files of a server? Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in not resolving in sed

I'm trying to search the 2 pattern in consecutive lines and print them but my variables are not resolving in sed (using bash shell) - # cat testfile2.txt Fixing Storage Locations to remove extra slash; Fixing Storage Locations to remove extra slash; Fixing Storage Locations to remove extra... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
nsquery(1)						      General Commands Manual							nsquery(1)

NAME
nsquery - query the Name Service Switch backend libraries SYNOPSIS
lookup_type lookup_query [lookup_policy] DESCRIPTION
is used to find the Name Service that returned the response to a or function call. This application is Name Service Switch aware and fol- lows the lookup policies in The supported lookup_type values are: Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Used to resolve user name or UID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a UID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve user name lookups. Used to resolve UID lookups. Used to resolve group name or GID lookups. Assumes that a numeric value is a GID. This option is to be obsoleted. Use and instead. Used to resolve group name lookups. Used to resolve GID lookups. Used to resolve host name or IP Address lookups. Only IPv6 and IPv4-mapped IPv6 address will be displayed for host name lookups. The lookup_query can either be a host name, IP Address (IPv4 only), user name, user ID, group name, or group ID. The lookup_policy must be a valid lookup policy described in nsswitch.conf(4). If the policy is invalid, the system default policy will be used. The default values for lookup_policy are: dns [NOTFOUND=return] nis [NOTFOUND=return] files files nis files nis dns [NOTFOUND=return] files will display the lookup policy being used, the name of the service being queried, and the result of the query. EXAMPLES
Lookup host hondo using the default hosts lookup policy. Lookup host with ip address 15.204.204.204 using "dns files" as the hosts lookup policy. Lookup user dog using "ldap" as the passwd lookup policy. Lookup user ID 105 using the default passwd lookup policy. Lookup group wayne using group lookup policy "nis [NOTFOUND=RETURN] files". Lookup group 22 using the default group lookup policy. Lookup host rio using "dns" as the ipnodes lookup policy. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Success. Invalid Usage. Unknown Action. No match found in any name services queried. WARNINGS
The and lookup_type values are to be obsoleted. For use or instead. For use or instead. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
nsswitch.conf(4). nsquery(1)