Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User groups
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User groups Post 302073111 by thestevew on Wednesday 10th of May 2006 08:41:25 AM
Old 05-10-2006
Looks like you need tight security! To make this work you would need to set up each of your users with the appropriate pair of groups and make sure that the document directories (and any files in public directories) are owned by a user in the appropriate groups and only allow access to the owner and group.

hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dynamic user groups

Is it possible to dynamically allocate a new user group to an existing session on Solaris 5.8 I'd like to be able to allow certain users to access a set of scripts for the life of session (preferably there own session not a specific login created for the purpose) by dynamically giving the session... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hammer
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding user to groups

How do I add a user to a group? And how do I determine the list of groups to add a user? Solaris 10 newbie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peteythapitbull
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove UNIX user and groups

I created UNIX groups - oinstall, dba and UNIX user - oracle for the installation of Oracle 10g. But I might did something incorrectly. Oracle user account didn't created properly. How to remove these UNIX groups and user so that I can start over again to create them properly. Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Setting user groups

Hi......... I'm trying to set a group of users to login to do a required super-user tasks without knowing the super-user passwd. For example...a user popodude logs in as self with passwd..system accepts the password & then automatically asks for the super-user account passwd. My goal is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Remi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup of user groups and permissions

Hi folks, thanks for reading this. I have been asked to manage our company's SCO OpenServer 5 system since the old administrator left. I have a very basic knowledge of Unix, but only the basic commands - ls, ps, chmod, etc. This server holds thousands of programs (converted Basic programs,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: citygov
4 Replies

6. AIX

user & groups

1 - what is the maximum no: of groups a user can be a part of ? 2 - what is maximum no: of users a group can contain ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add user to multiple groups

hi all i am new to solaris how to add a user to multiple(secondary) groups. user :anna Groups : delhi ,mumbai,pune i need like this in cat /etc/group delhi::anna mumbai::anna pune::anna i tried using usermod -a -G hyd anna that does int work how to delete user from group... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
3 Replies

8. AIX

Nested user groups

Is there a command to nest a group in another group in AIX. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get User list from different groups and root?

Hi all, I want to list out users from different group and root, who are roaming in our group or root as a user. how can i list out this users ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpatel97
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating user groups that are persistent

Hi, I need to modify the user 'munfai' by adding it into groups bscs, oinstall, dba. I use this command as user root to add the user into the mentioned groups : # usermod -G bscs,oinstall,dba munfai I can thereafter see the id in the groups : # id munfai uid=258(munfai) gid=20(users)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
listusers(1)						      General Commands Manual						      listusers(1)

NAME
listusers - display user login data SYNOPSIS
groups] logins] DESCRIPTION
The command displays data concerning user logins. The output shows the user login and the comment field value (for example, user name, location). The default displays data about all user logins. Options The command supports the following options: Display only users who have groups, as their primary group. Use with the option. Display only users who have groups, as their supplementary group. Use with the option. Display all users belonging to groups, sorted by login. A comma separated list specifies multiple groups. Display the requested logins. A comma separated list specifies multiple logins. Display only users belonging to the specified repository, either for NIS or users. A user login has a UID of 100 or greater. When the and options are combined, a user login is only displayed once, even though the login may belong to multiple specified groups. EXAMPLES
List all user logins. List all user logins in the group and the users removing all duplicates. List all users who have as their primary group. List all users who have as their supplementary group. List only local user logins. List only NIS user logins. FILES
SEE ALSO
passwd(1), logins(1M), group(4), passwd(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
listusers(1)