Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hdds physically
Operating Systems HP-UX hdds physically Post 302072205 by buffoonix on Friday 28th of April 2006 07:51:13 PM
Old 04-28-2006
I would rather dd from the raw device and read bigger chunks
e.g.
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?t?d? of=/dev/null bs=1024k

If your disk is defunct then the command would probably hang and could not be killed.
Therefore better start it as a batch job,
or if run from the console run tsm before
to have another virtual terminal to leave you a prompt.

You could also let the device try to identify

diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/c?t?d?

If not all fields are populated there might be a problem with the disk.

Also see if ioscan reports loss of hardware

/usr/sbin/ioscan -fCdisk|grep NO_HW

If you have OnlineDiag installed (swlist OnlineDiag)
you could run stm and read info logs of disk.

If you have EMS running you should check its log for any
monitoring events
more /var/opt/resmon/logs/event.log
But if you had it should have warned you by some notification email.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to check if rsc is physically exist

I have a bunch of servers that cant connect via rsc, but supposingly they can connect... Any chance I can check if the rsc card is physically exist in the server by some command? Some of the machines are in overseas, and I won't go datacenter to check anyways... Many Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicole0404
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Physically identify hard disk.

Hi, I have a failed hard disk in my Sun Fire V240. Unfortunately it does not show up in 'cfgadm -al' or in the format command so I cannot unconfigure it and illuminate the blue light on the front to identify it. Is there any way of iluminating the blue lights on the other disks so I can at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
3 Replies

3. Solaris

SPARC T4-1/Solaris 11/Add 2 new HDDs in RAID 0 configuration

Hi, Couple of sentences for background: I'm a software developer, whose task was to create a server software for our customer. Software is ready for deployment and customer has a new T4-1 SPARC, but somehow it also became my task also to setup the server. I have managed to get the server is up... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: julumme
13 Replies

4. AIX

IBM AIX 5.2 cloning Hdds

I have an old IBM Power 5 9111-520 that has data on it but the system is failing. I need to move it to a more reliable server. The current system has two drives and no raid. I would like to setup my "newer" system with raid and two partitions then clone my setup over. What is the best way to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BDC80
2 Replies
eject(1)							   User Commands							  eject(1)

NAME
eject - eject media such as CD-ROM and floppy from drive SYNOPSIS
eject [-dfnpq] [device | nickname] DESCRIPTION
The eject utility is used for those removable media devices that do not have a manual eject button, or for those that do, but are managed by Volume Management (see vold(1M)). The device may be specified by its name or by a nickname; if Volume Management is running and no device is specified, the default device is used. Only devices that support eject under program control respond to this command. eject responds differently, depending on whether or not Vol- ume Management is running. With Volume Management When eject is used on media that can only be ejected manually, it will do everything except remove the media, including unmounting the file system if it is mounted. In this case, eject displays a message that the media can now be manually ejected. If a window system is running, the message is displayed as a pop-up window, unless the -p option is supplied. If no window system is running or the -p option is supplied, a message is displayed both to stderr and to the system console that the media can now be physically removed. Volume Management has the concept of a default device, which eject uses if no pathname or nickname is specified. Use the -d option to check what default device will be used. Without Volume Management When Volume Management is not running and a pathname is specified, eject sends the eject command to that pathname. If a nickname is sup- plied instead of a pathname, eject will recognize the following list: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | Nickname | Path | |fd |/dev/rdiskette | |fd0 |/dev/rdiskette | |fd1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | |diskette |/dev/rdiskette | |diskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | |diskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | |rdiskette |/dev/rdiskette | |rdiskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | |rdiskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | |floppy |/dev/rdiskette | |floppy0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | |floppy1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The list above can be reproduced with the -n option. Do not physically eject media from a device which contains mounted file systems. eject automatically searches for any mounted file systems which reside on the device and attempts to umount them prior to ejecting the media (see mount(1M)). If the unmount operation fails, eject prints a warning message and exits. The -f option may be used to specify an eject even if the device contains mounted partitions; this option works only if Volume Management is not running. eject can also display its default device and a list of nicknames. If you have inserted a floppy diskette, you must use volcheck(1) before ejecting the media to inform Volume Management of the floppy's presence. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Displays the name of the default device to be ejected. -f Forces the device to eject even if it is busy, if Volume Management is not running. -n Displays the nickname to device name translation table. -p Does not try to call the eject_popup program. -q Queries to see if the media is present. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: device Specifies which device to eject, by the name it appears in the directory /dev. nickname Specifies which device to eject, by its nickname as known to this command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Ejecting a CD while Volume Management is running To eject a CD from its drive, while Volume Management is running (assuming only one CD-ROM drive): example> eject cdrom0 Example 2: Ejecting a CD-ROM without running Volume Management To eject a CD-ROM drive with pathname /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s2, without Volume Management running: example> eject /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s2 Example 3: Ejecting a floppy disk To eject a floppy disk (whether or not Volume Management is running): example> eject floppy0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit codes are returned: 0 The operation was successful or, with the -q option, the media is in the drive. 1 The operation was unsuccessful or, with the -q option, the media is not in the drive. 2 Invalid options were specified. 3 An ioctl() request failed. 4 Manually ejectable media is now okay to remove. FILES
/dev/diskette0 default diskette file /dev/sr0 default CD-ROM file (deprecated) /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s2 default CD-ROM file /usr/lib/vold/eject_popup popup used for manually ejected media ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1), mount(1M), rmmount(1M), vold(1M), ioctl(2), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) DIAGNOSTICS
A short help message is printed if an unknown option is specified. A diagnostic is printed if the device name cannot be opened or does not support eject. Device Busy An attempt was made to eject a device that has a mounted file system. A warning message is printed when doing a forced eject of a mounted device. BUGS
There should be a way to change the default on a per-user basis. If Volume Management is not running, it is possible to eject a volume that is currently mounted (see mount(1M)). For example, if you have a CD-ROM drive at /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s2 mounted on /mnt, the following command (without Volume Management running) will work: example> eject /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 since both slices s0 and s2 reference the whole CD-ROM drive. SunOS 5.10 20 Sep 1996 eject(1)