Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to rename multiple files with a single command Post 302071666 by tayyabq8 on Sunday 23rd of April 2006 11:34:06 AM
Old 04-23-2006
I got it, Thanks for your explanation. This command will save a lot of my time.

Regards,
Tayyab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files

Hello, I want to rename multiple files at a time and I don't know how to do it. I have various ".mp3" files, like "band name - music name.mp3" and I want to remove the "band name" from all files. Anybody knows how to do it using shell script or sed or even perl? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

Hi, In my directory I have many files, for e.g. file_123 file_124 file_125 file_126 file_127 Instead of renaming these files one by one, I would like to rename them at a same time using same command... they should appear like 123 124 125 126 127 What command(awk or ls or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command to create multiple empty files(no trailing lines as well).

Hi, i need a single command to create multiple empty files(no trailing lines as well) and empty the files if already existing. please let me know or if this has been ansered, if some ocan share the link please, thanks > newfile.txt or :> newfile.txt do not work (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp multiple files in single command

Hi All, I would like to sftp 2 files with a single command. I tried the below options, sftp suer@test13:"/u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh /u01/home/oracle/.profile" ./ But what actually happens is Fetching /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh to /u01/home/oracle/.profile /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move multiple files to different directory using a single command

I have multiple files test1, test2, test3 etc. I want to move to a different directory with ABC_ prefixed to every file and and current dat time as postfix using a single command. (I will be using this is sftp with ! (command for local server). I have tried the following but it gives error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
5 Replies
RENAME(1)							   User Commands							 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - rename files SYNOPSIS
rename [options] expression replacement file... DESCRIPTION
rename will rename the specified files by replacing the first occurrence of expression in their name by replacement. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Give visual feedback which files where renamed, if any. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -s, --symlink Peform rename on symlink target -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10, ..., foo278, the commands rename foo foo0 foo? rename foo foo0 foo?? will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278. And rename .htm .html *.htm will fix the extension of your html files. WARNING
The renaming has no safeguards. If the user has permission to rewrite file names, the command will perform the action without any ques- tions. For example, the result can be quite drastic when the command is run as root in the /lib directory. Always make a backup before running the command, unless you truly know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
mmv(1), mv(1) AVAILABILITY
The rename command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 RENAME(1)