Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Examples of writing shell scripts for AIX, it's urgent Post 302071541 by DogDay on Friday 21st of April 2006 11:56:43 AM
Old 04-21-2006
well, AIX *is* UNIX so why wouldn't they work?

example...

---begin---

#!/bin/sh

echo Hello World!

---end---

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for newbie writing shell scripts

Hi, I have just started a Systems Programming course and am required to write a c shell script as part of it. I have little to no clue about unix. The spec states that the script can be run only once on each host by a user, but the script can be run on different hosts by the one user. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richgi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on writing scripts!!??

Hello, I don't know anything about scripting, and I want help on writing a script, which can help me doing my research. Actually I have some ASCII format files formatted in a way looks like this 6 lines of text that is not important for me File_header_name_number_1 <--... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to migrate UP-UX shell scripts to AIX 5.2

Hello, We would to migrate some shell scripts (korn shell) from HP-UX to AIX 5.2 I would know: - If the HP-UX scripts work as well in AIX? - If no, is there a migration tool to detect incompatible lines in scripts? - How do proceed? Our scripts do: - Loads data in Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: P026687
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is writing shell scripts different than...

I am currently taking a linux shell scripting class and also a intro to programming class using QBASIC. Will this interfere with how i learn each one? Are they similar in some ways? I already took a unix course based on the commands and it was easy, but now i have to create programs. Also, how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
1 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allocate memory for a shell script in Aix at runtime-urgent critical

How to allocate memory for a shell script on aix box at the time of execution i.e at runtime Are there any commands for AIX in specific Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell scripts of commands

can anyone help me in writing a shell script to visualize how simple commands work and on what logic. For Eg: ls command how it lists out all the files and directories, need to write a simple script based on the commands source code.:D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

9. Fedora

I need urgent help - Basic shell scripts but I'm clueless.

Hello. I am currently in a class dealing with shell scripts. I know some commands and get the basics of command line in Fedora 11. But the coding....I'm a bit lost. I was very ill for 2 weeks and missed a lot, much of which there are no notes provided. I'm not asking you to do my homework,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Feuyaer
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files

Experts, I am newbie in shell scripting. I want to write Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files. I have installed cygwin at c:\cygwin and i am trying to crate the sh file using vi editor. i am not able to understand how to use linux/unix convention for the code. following is my... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajuchacha007
15 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)