Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking strings into Substrings Post 302070597 by vino on Thursday 6th of April 2006 03:59:04 AM
Old 04-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch
have been given a task to do a program in .sh,
Is it homework ? Homework posts are not allowed in this forum.

Since you have quite a bit, here is a little modification that you could use.

Code:
IFS="/"; while read file
do
set -- $file
IFS=":"
set -- $1

will become

Code:
while IFS="/" read day month year rest
do
MONTH=$month
YEAR=$year

Modify the rest accordingly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: Comparing strings that contain spaces and working with substrings

Forgive me. I am very new to kornshell scripts. The simplest things stop me dead in my tracks. Here are two such examples. I want to save the first 19 characters of the following string to a variable. "Operation Completed and blah blah blah" I know this works (from another thread): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nancylt723
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract large list of substrings

I have a very long string (millions of characters). I have a file with start location and length that is thousands of rows long: Start Length 5 10 16 21 44 100 215 37 ... I'd like to extract the substring that corresponds to the start and length from each row of the list: I tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
7 Replies

3. AIX

Substrings and the likes in AIX 4.2 ?

In AIX 4.2, are there any shell commands to do substrings and the text like manipulation commands ? I want to take an error log where errors are multi-ligned and convert them into single lines to ease tracking/monitoring. I may need to shorten them out too. If I can manage to put them into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substrings

Hi guys, I am stuck in this problem. Please help. I have two files. FILE1 (with records starting from '>' ) >TC1723_3 similar to Scific_A7Q9Q3 EMSPSQDYCDDYFKLTYPCTAGAQYYGRGALPVYWNYNYGAIGEALKLDLLNHPEYIEQN ATMAFQAAIWRWMNPMKKGQPSAHDAFVGNWKP >TC214_2 similar to Quiet_Ref100_Q8W2B2 Cluster;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substrings from variables

Hello Everyone, I am looking for a way to extract substrings to local variables. Here is the format of the string variable i am using : /var/x/www && /usr/x/share/doc && /etc/x/logs where the substrings i must extract are the "/var/x/www" and such. I was originally thinking of using... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract three substrings from a logfile

I have a log file like below. 66.249.73.11 - - "UCiZ7QocVqYAABgwfP8AAHAA" "US" "Mediapartners-Google" "-" www.mahashwetha.com.sg "GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing multiple substrings for a match

I have a tab-delimited file containing a large genetic dataset with binary base calls, in this format: Chr7 26021407 1/1:0,0,0:5 1/1:0,0,0:5 1/1:0,0,0:5 Chr7 26022023 1/1:0,0,0:3 1/1:0,0,0:3 1/1:28,3,0:5 Chr7 26022087 1/1:0,0,0:6 1/1:25,3,0:9 1/1:25,3,0:9 Chr7 26022656 1/1:0,0,0:3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ljk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace substrings in awk

Hi ! my input looks like that: --AAA-AAAAAAA---------AA- AAA------AAAAAAAAAAAAAA ------A----AAAA-----A------- Using awk, I would need to replace only the "-" located between the last letter and the end of the string by "~" in order to get: --AAA-AAAAAAA---------AA~... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding most common substrings

Hello, I would like to know what is the three most abundant substrings of length 6 from col2. The file is quite large and looks like this col1 col2 EN03 typehellobyedogcatcatdog EN09 typehellobyebyebyebye EN08 dogcatcatdogbyebyebyebye EN09 catcattypehellobyebyebyebye... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look for substrings with special characters

Hello gurus, I have a lookup table cat tmp1 \\\erw``~ 1 ^774574574565665f\] 2 ()42543^ and I`m trying to compare a bunch of strings such that, either the lookup table column 1, or the string to be looked up are substrings of each other (and return the second lookup column if yes). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetalk
2 Replies
BB-DATEPAGE.CGI(1)					      General Commands Manual						BB-DATEPAGE.CGI(1)

NAME
bb-datepage.cgi - Xymon CGI script to view pre-built reports by date SYNOPSIS
bb-datepage.cgi?type={day,week,month} --url=URLPREFIX [options] DESCRIPTION
bb-datepage.cgi is invoked as a CGI script via the bb-datepage.sh CGI wrapper. bb-datepage.cgi is passed a QUERY_STRING environment variable with the type of time-selection that is desired: Either "day", "week" or "month" can be requested. It will then generate a web form with appropriate day/week/month selection boxes, and based on the users' selec- tion a resulting url is built from the URLPREFIX and the time selection. The browser is then redirected to this URL. The URL is constructed from the URLPREFIX, the type-parameter, the value of the "pagepath" or "host" cookie, and the users' selection as follows: type=day The final URL is URLPREFIX/daily/YEAR/MONTH/DAY/PAGEPATH. type=week The final URL is URLPREFIX/weekly/YEAR/WEEK/PAGEPATH. type=month The final URL is URLPREFIX/monthly/YEAR/MONTH/PAGEPATH. YEAR is the full year (4 digits, including century). MONTH is the two-digit number of the month (01..12). DAY is the number of the day in the month (01..31). WEEK is the ISO 8601:1988 week-number (01..53). PAGEPATH is the current value of the "pagepath" cookie if set; if it is not set but the "host" cookie is set, then this host is looked up in the bb-hosts file and the page where this host is found is used for PAGEPATH. These two cookies are set by the default web-header templates supplied with Xymon. OPTIONS
--url=URLPREFIX This specifies the initial part of the final URL. This option is required. --hffile=FILENAME Specifies the template files (from $BBHOME/web/) to use. The default is "--hffile=report". --color=COLOR Sets the background color of the generated webpage. The default is blue. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment defined in FILENAME before executing the CGI script. --debug Enables debugging output. $BBHOME/web/report_form_daily HTML form template for the date selection form when type=daily. $BBHOME/web/report_form_weekly HTML form template for the date selection form when type=weekly. $BBHOME/web/report_form_monthly HTML form template for the date selection form when type=monthly. $BBHOME/web/report_header HTML header file for the generated web page $BBHOME/web/report_footer HTML footer file for the generated web page ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHOME Used to locate the template files for the generated web pages. QUERY_STRING Contains the parameters for the CGI script. SEE ALSO
bbgen(1), bb-hosts(5), hobbitserver.cfg(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 BB-DATEPAGE.CGI(1)