Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command Tracking
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command Tracking Post 302070238 by matrixmadhan on Monday 3rd of April 2006 10:05:10 AM
Old 04-03-2006
this is one possible idea/suggestion,

have a stealth wrapper to your /usr/bin/rm and /usr/sbin/unlink commands

stealth wrapper.
when the commands rm or unlink is executed first the wrapper which contains the underlying base command would be executed.
With that you can log the userid, file being deleted, time of deletion.

its actually you are wrapper script executed first upon invoking rm or unlink system calls. Then the wrapper in turn executes the required command.

This should give you a clue/option to proceed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tracking user action

Hi, we are using solaris8. we have some files disappear. I would like to know how to track who and when the files was remove ??? thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking user

dear all, I'm facing problem that is i have noticed from few days back that some body is deleting and making changes in the file from developement server where i'm working(in unix) so i want to track that who is using the server, what performancr they are doing and each every thing which r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking down the problem

Is there a way to track down what process is sending to a certain port? I have some thing pounding the network with requests to a multicast IP that doesn't exist. I have shut down all comms related processes and yet it is still there. Need a way to track the port or IP back to the process. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattmanuel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

server load tracking

I have written a script which checks server load and emails me. I am running into the error: ./load_alert.sh: line 8: ; then printf "WARNING - cpu load high in xyz server" fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmurali
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tracking root users

Hi everyone hope you can help me i have 5 root users and the problem with that is how can you see witch root user did what on the box how can you track the users that played on the servers. 1) What commands they typed (in linux you get history ) 2) From witch ip did they connect to the server (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sucram
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

netfilter connection tracking

hi, i'm using tcpreplay to send a traffic trace to my wireless interface (the trace is been captured by the same interface). It seems as netfilter can't trace connections. Is it possible? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
0 Replies

7. AIX

Tracking Root commands

Hi All How can track what commands are entered by the Root user. Is there a log besides using the history command that lists all commands entered for a period of time. thanks:o (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashan
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Tracking Process to a particular

I've tried to see what I can find on my own but I'm coming up with goose eggs. Basically I was wondering if there was a way of querying the scheduler (or something similar) to track a process back to a particular CPU it's executing on at the time of the command. ps has a "cpu" output option but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tracking process via ps command

Hello folks, I am tracking a process httpd only. But when i am grepping it, it is returning me multiple process of httpd, second it is showing another process of monitorix-httpd. Below commands i have tried. Current output # ps ax |grep http 929 ? Ss 0:00 monitorix-httpd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tracking users through history command

Hi folks, I have the basic query that there are 3 unix boxes having their individual access now in my team there are 4 members who are using the same credentials to access those 3 boxes through putty ssh from their windows desktop , now if i want to check which 4 members have executed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies
link(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  link(1M)

NAME
link, unlink - link and unlink files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/link existing-file new-file /usr/xpg4/bin/link existing-file new-file /usr/sbin/unlink file DESCRIPTION
The link and unlink commands link and unlink files and directories. Only super-users can use these commands on directories. Use link to create a new file that points to an existing file. The existing-file and new-file operands specify the existing file and newly-created files. See OPERANDS. link and unlink directly invoke the link(2) and unlink(2) system calls, performing exactly what they are told to do and abandoning all error checking. This differs from the ln(1) command. See ln(1). While linked files and directories can be removed using unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See rm(1) and rmdir(1). /usr/xpg4/bin/link If the existing file being hard linked is itself a symbolic link, then the newly created file (new-file) will be a hard link to the file referenced by the symbolic link, not to the symbolic link object itself (existing-file). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: existing-file Specifies the name of the existing file to be linked. file Specifies the name of the file to be unlinked. new-file Specifies the name of newly created (linked) file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of link: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/link +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), rm(1), link(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Oct 2002 link(1M)