Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with find Post 302069833 by braindrain on Wednesday 29th of March 2006 11:33:54 AM
Old 03-29-2006
Worked like a charm Good learning, thx Perderabo!!

Last edited by braindrain; 03-29-2006 at 01:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another Find Problem

HI All, I am having a bit of trouble using the find command in my shell (korn) script. I was hoping someone could help me. I am trying to build up a dynamic find command based on some parameters. When I execute the command I get the following error: find: incomplete statement I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethkor
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with `find ...`

Hi all, Have the following snippet of code that I'm having trouble trying to work ... The snippet of code is running on our Production Server and the intent is to copy the second most recent IDE file across from the Development Server. I have the following files defined in $DEVLOC ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with find and tar

When I am doing the first command the result shows all the files, links, directories except the ones that contain the word logs find . -type f -o -type l -o -type d | grep -v logs But when I am trying to do this even the logs are getting tarred tar -cvf fdtvision.tar `find . -type f -o -type l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with find and mtime

I am using HP-UNIX , The below command doesnt display anything although i have changed a file in the directory by toutch -t 200010101800 nfile find /tmp/transfer/ -name "*.*" -mtime +1 Any problrm with the find command i written . .Please help ??.. Thanks, Arun (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command problem

Hi All, I am using following find command to delete the records older than 7 days but getting missing conjuction error.Kindly suggest: The command is: find <complete_dir_path> \(! -name usr -prune \) -type f -name "*.txt" -mtime +6 -print | xargs rm (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find command.

I'm trying to display the full file name (including the full path) and file size of all files whose name (excluding the path) is longer than 10 characters. I came up with find path -type f -name ".{10, }" -printf "%s %p\n", but I'm getting a "find: path: No such file or directory". What's wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find problem

for index in `find /root -name *.jar | grep "/lib"`; do echo "$index"; done sometimes its throwing error saying find: paths must precede expression Usage: find some1 suggested me that : Code: for index in `find /technologies -name '*.jar' | grep "/lib"` do echo "$index"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find problem

Hi I want to find files with size +10000M and specified directorys except when i use more than one `-name` acton is fail I try -a (and) and -o (-or) but results fail :( find . \( -name ./oracle* -prune -o -name "*arc*" -prune -o -name "*oracle*" -prune -o -size +10000k \) -exec ls -lh {}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ygemici
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find command "find: cannot open"

Hello Guys , I am trying to run below find command in one of my SH script on a HP UX machine. find /tmp -type f -name "MGCA*.log" -prune -exec rm -f {} \; 2>&1 I want this to check my tmp directory and delete MGCA log files .But below error message is printed on Promt :- find: cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find

Hello, I have trouble using the find command (I am working on Mac OSX). for i in *.pdf do if find . -name "EV" then mv "$i" E-test.pdf elif find . -name "GV" then mv "$i" G-test.pdf else mv "$i" test.pdf fi done As to the use of "$i": unfortunately, the filenames... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
14 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)