Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Specifying network configuration info Post 302069702 by FredSmith on Tuesday 28th of March 2006 02:57:56 PM
Old 03-28-2006
Thank you, in case anyone searches the forum for a "fix" to a similar problem, the issue was:

My server's /etc/nsswitch.conf file did not specify hosts: dns

(as discussed in:
Solaris 8 System Administrator Collection >> Solaris Naming Administration Guide >> Part VI Administering DNS >> 28. Introduction to DNS >> DNS Basics

(From the documentSmilie

DNS Clients and the Resolver

To be a DNS client, a machine must run the resolver. The resolver is neither a daemon nor a single program; rather, it is a set of dynamic library routines used by applications that need to know machine names. The resolver's function is to resolve users' queries. To do that, it queries a name server, which then returns either the requested information or a referral to another server. Once the resolver is configured, a machine can request DNS service from a name server.

When a machine's /etc/nsswitch.conf file specifies hosts: dns (or any other variant that includes dns in the hosts line), the resolver libraries are automatically used. If the nsswitch.conf file specifies some other name service before dns, that name service is consulted first for host information and only if that name service does not find the host in question are the resolver libraries used.

For example, if the hosts line in the nsswitch.conf file specifies hosts: nisplus dns, the NIS+ name service will first be searched for host information. If the information is not found in NIS+, then the DNS resolver is used. Since name services such as NIS+ and NIS only contain information about hosts in their own network, the effect of a hosts:nisplus dns line in a switch file is to specify the use of NIS+ for local host information and DNS for information on remote hosts out on the Internet.

There are two kinds of DNS clients:

Client-only. A client-only DNS client does not run in.named; instead, it consults the resolver. The resolver knows about a list of name servers for the domain, to which queries are then directed.

Client-server. A client-server uses the services provided by in.named to resolve queries forwarded to it by client-machine resolvers.

The Solaris operating environment includes the dynamic library routines that make up the resolver. Solaris Naming Setup and Configuration Guide, contains instructions for setting up a host as a DNS client.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX Network Configuration

Hi, I have installed a HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800 Server in one of the domain. And I'm also able to telnet/ping into this server from systems in the same domain. But I'm not able to telnet/ping into this server from a different domain. So, what shoud need to do to achieve this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
6 Replies

2. Solaris

network configuration

hi again... i configured my network settings sometiime ago using the sys-unconfig command.the active link was rtls0. there was some problem with the network so i changed the ISP. now when im trying to reconfigure the system wit sys-unconfig, it tries to configure the network on rtls1 (and shows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strider
1 Replies

3. Linux

Get info on network interface

Hello everybody, How can link network interface to the output of lspci -vv. Basicly i need to know who is the manufacturer of a specific interface, for example eth0 {Is it an Intel, or Broadcome, or something else}. Is there a way to find that out? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleksey
5 Replies

4. AIX

change network info

hi all, how do i change the routing info and make sure i will be able to connect remotely? any ideas please? thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. SCO

Network Configuration

I have a SCO 5.07 Server and I am trying to get it on my network. I have edited the /etc/hosts file and /etc/rc2.d/s99route . I has connectivity on the NIC card but not sure if I am forgetting another file. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewd
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network configuration

I am using solaris 10, my internet works alright but each time i reboot i keep loosing my connection. I will have to use the ifconfig iprb0 192.168.1.xx netmask 255.255.255.0 up and Route add default 192.168.1.xxx command to gain back my internet. I know there is a better way of addressing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Network configuration

Hi I have installed Solaris 5.10 on Intel x86 machine (standalone). I want to access internet through solaris. How should I configure the network? Is static IP or DHCP advisable? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnl
5 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

kde network info app

In gnome there was an indicator applet that displayed your ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns. Is there a similar applet in kde? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Show all network info

Is there a command that display all network info. I'm looking for ip address, subnet mask, gateway, and dns. If there isn't a single command could someone please write me a shellscript that can do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need network info of servers

Hi, Need to Collect IP Details in the following format ServerName ; IPADDR1 ; NETMASK1 ; IPADDR2 ; NETMASK2 ; IPADDR3 ; NETMASK3 ; Could you please give me the suggesstions. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
1 Replies
resolver(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       resolver(5)

NAME
resolver -- resolver configuration file format DESCRIPTION
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library resolv(3) that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System (DNS). A resolver con- figuration file contains information used to specify parameters for a DNS resolver client. The file contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver information. Mac OS X supports a DNS search strategy that may involve multiple DNS resolver clients. See the SEARCH STRATEGY section below for an over- view of multi-client DNS search. Each DNS client is configured using the contents of a single configuration file of the format described below, or from a property list sup- plied from some other system configuration database. Note that the /etc/resolv.conf file, which contains configuration for the default (or "primary") DNS resolver client, is maintained automatically by Mac OS X and should not be edited manually. Changes to the DNS configuration should be made by using the Network Preferences panel. The different configuration options are given below. nameserver Internet address (in dot notation for IPv4 or in colon notation for IPv6) of a name server that the resolver should query. The address may optionally have a trailing dot followed by a port number. For example, 10.0.0.17.55 specifies that the nameserver at 10.0.0.17 uses port 55. Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made. port IP port number to be used for this resolver. The default port is 53. The port number for an individual nameserver may be specified as part of the nameserver address (see nameserver above) to override the default or the port number specified as a value for this keyword. domain Domain name associated with this resolver configuration. This option is normally not required by the Mac OS X DNS search system when the resolver configuration is read from a file in the /etc/resolver directroy. In that case the file name is used as the domain name. However, domain must be provided when there are multiple resolver clients for the same domain name, since multiple files may not exist having the same name. See the SEARCH STRATEGY section for more details. search Search list for host-name lookup. This parameter is only used by the "Super" DNS resolver, which manages the DNS search strategy amongst multiple DNS resolver clients. Unqualified queries will be attempted using each component of the search list in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total of 256 characters. search_order Only required for those clients that share a domain name with other clients. Queries will be sent to these clients in order by ascending search_order value. For example, this allows two clients for the ".local" domain, which is used by Apple's Rendezvous multicast DNS system, but which may also be used at some sites as private DNS domain name. sortlist Sortlist allows addresses returned by gethostbyname to be sorted. A sortlist is specified by IP address netmask pairs. The netmask is optional and defaults to the natural netmask of the net. The IP address and optional network pairs are separated by slashes. Up to 10 pairs may be specified. For example: sortlist 130.155.160.0/255.255.240.0 130.155.0.0 timeout Specifies the total amount of time allowed for a name resolution. This time interval is divided by the number of nameservers and the number of retries allowed for each nameserver. options Options allows certain internal resolver variables to be modified. The syntax is: options option ... where option is one of the following: debug sets RES_DEBUG in the resolver options. timeout:n sets the per-retry timeout for resolver queries. The total timeout allowed for a query depends on the number of retries and the number of nameservers. This value is ignored if a total timeout is specified using the timeout keyword (see above). ndots:n Sets a threshold for the number of dots which must appear in a name given to res_query (see resolver(3)) before an initial absolute query will be made. The default for n is ``1'', meaning that if there are any dots in a name, the name will be tried first as an absolute name before any search list elements are appended to it. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. SEARCH STRATEGY
Mac OS X uses a DNS search strategy that supports multiple DNS client configurations. Each DNS client has its own set of nameserver addresses and its own set of operational parameters. Each client can perform DNS queries and searches independent of other clients. Each client has a symbolic name which is of the same format as a domain name, e.g. "apple.com". A special meta-client, known as the "Super" DNS client acts as a router for DNS queries. The Super client chooses among all available clients by finding a best match between the domain name given in a query and the names of all known clients. Queries for qualified names are sent using a client configuration that best matches the domain name given in the query. For example, if there is a client named "apple.com", a search for "www.apple.com" would use the resolver configuration specified for that client. The match- ing algorithm chooses the client with the maximum number of matching domain components. For example, if there are clients named "a.b.c", and "b.c", a search for "x.a.b.c" would use the "a.b.c" resolver configuration, while a search for "x.y.b.c" would use the "b.c" client. If there are no matches, the configuration settings in the default client, generally corresponding to the /etc/resolv.conf file or to the "pri- mary" DNS configuration on the system are used for the query. If multiple clients are available for the same domain name, the clients ordered according to a search_order value (see above). Queries are sent to these resolvers in sequence by ascending value of search_order. The configuration for a particular client may be read from a file having the format described in this man page. These are at present located by the system in the /etc/resolv.conf file and in the files found in the /etc/resolver directroy. However, client configurations are not limited to file storage. The implementation of the DNS multi-client search strategy may also locate client configuratins in other data sources, such as the System Configuration Database. Users of the DNS system should make no assumptions about the source of the configuration data. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/resolver/* SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(2), getaddrinfo(3), resolver(3) Mac OS June 6, 2003 Mac OS