Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change hostname
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change hostname Post 30173 by RTM on Thursday 17th of October 2002 04:26:35 PM
Old 10-17-2002
From Sunsolve:

Solaris systems try to set their hostname through the "dhcpinfo" command
when they are booted as DHCP clients. The "dhcpinfo" command tries to
obtain the hostname for the client from a DHCP server by matching the
client's MAC address with a hostname entry in the DHCP server's network
client table. A Windows NT DHCP server usually does not have a network
client table since the hostname of a Windows client is stored locally.
Hence, a Solaris DHCP client will get no reply from the Windows NT DHCP
server to it's "dhcpinfo" command. If the Solaris client is configured
to use DHCP and the DHCP server fails to respond to the "dhcpinfo"
command, the client's hostname is set to "unknown" by the startup scripts.

We may work around this problem by making some modifications in the
system startup scripts as shown below:

1. For Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7 Systems.

Edit the file /etc/init.d/rootusr and change the line that reads

hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`

to

# hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`
hostname=`shcat /etc/nodename`
uname -S $hostname

Save the file and reboot the system. The system's hostname will be the
entry in the file /etc/nodename.

2. For Solaris 8 systems.

Edit the file /etc/init.d/network and change the line that reads

"dhcp") hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname` ;;

to

# "dhcp") hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname` ;;
"dhcp") hostname=`shcat /etc/nodename` ;;

Then, edit the file /etc/init.d/inetsvc and change the line that reads

hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`

to

# hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`
hostname=`/usr/bin/cat /etc/nodename`

Save the files and reboot the system. The system's hostname will be the
entry in the file /etc/nodename.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

7. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change HostName

How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0 I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalina
9 Replies

10. Solaris

change hostname in SUNOS 5.10

What file I need to edit if I need to change hostname in SUN OS 5.10 Please advice ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman1
1 Replies
nodename(4)							   File Formats 						       nodename(4)

NAME
nodename - local source for system name SYNOPSIS
/etc/nodename DESCRIPTION
When a machine is standalone or its IP address is configured locally, the /etc/nodename file contains the system name. By convention, the system name is the same as the hostname associated with the IP address of the primary network interface, for example, hostname.hme0. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the RPC bootparams protocol, the /etc/nodename file is not used, as the system name is delivered by the remote service. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the DHCP protocol, the /etc/nodename file is used only if the DHCP server does not provide a value for the Hostname option (DHCP standard option code 12). A system name configured in /etc/nodename should be unique within the system's name service domain in order to ensure that any network ser- vices provided by the system will operate correctly. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Syntax The syntax for nodename consists of a single line containing the system's name. For example, for a system named myhost: myhost ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), uname(1), named(1M), ypbind(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The nodename file is modified by Solaris installation and de-installation scripts. SunOS 5.10 9 Feb 2004 nodename(4)