Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: creating jfs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers creating jfs Post 30171 by auswipe on Thursday 17th of October 2002 04:16:46 PM
Old 10-17-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Perderabo
"wax poetic"? Once in a while I have been tempted to respond in rhyme, but I've always resisted the temptation.
No!No!No!

The proper response should have been:

Quote:
Once in a while I have been tempted to respond in rhyme, but I've always resisted the temptation... Well, at least this time!
Let's get it right, people! Smilie

I return you back to your normal schedule of Unix Learnin'.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

jfs (jfs2) for AIX versus Veritas

Hi there, Can anyone tell me the advantages that jfs has over Veritas (if any)?? Cheers. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich
5 Replies

2. AIX

Can not extend a JFS file system

Hi, I am getting an error message when i try to increase the size of a filesystems under AIX 4.3.3: chfs: 0506-932 Can not extend a JFS file system with nbpi = 4096 and frag = 4096 past 134217728 (512 byte blocks). -> Characteristics Journaled File System ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Can
4 Replies

3. AIX

JFS and JFS2

hi all, can sumbody give me a link which gives the basic layout of JFS, JFS2 and the veritas file system. and i also want to know about the data structures used in this filsystem thanx in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anwerreyaz
0 Replies

4. AIX

160G SAN FS on JFS

Hi All, I can't create a FS from a SAN VG with size of 160G on JFS (NOT JFS2, requirement with application) with large file enabled. It only let me create 64G in maximum size. The actual size of SAN VG is also 160G, the FS can be smaller than 160G because of the inode allocation. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot grow jfs file system on AIX 5.2

Hello all, I'm trying to grow a file system by 500MB using SMIT on AIX 5.2 but I receive this error: "0516-404 allocp: This system cannot fulfill the allocation request. There are not enough free partitions or not enough physical volumes to keep strictness and satisfy allocation requests.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
3 Replies

7. AIX

Jfs and jfs2

Hi all, Can anyone define the difference between jfs and jfs2 filesystem as well as usage of jfs log files.... Thanks.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
7 Replies

8. AIX

Help with jfs

how to change the filesystem from jfs to jfs2 in ibm aix6.1 please tell me command for that. thank you, paandu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paandur
2 Replies
jfs_mkfs(8)						     JFS file system creation						       jfs_mkfs(8)

NAME
jfs_mkfs - create a JFS formatted partition SYNOPSIS
jfs_mkfs [options] device [ blocks ] DESCRIPTION
jfs_mkfs is used to create (format) a JFS partition. jfs_mkfs must be run as root. device is the special file name corresponding to the actual device (e.g. /dev/hdb1) on which a JFS file system and/or JFS journal will be created. blocks is the number of blocks to be used for the file system. If omitted, jfs_mkfs automatically figures the file system size. The default block size is 4096. WARNING
jfs_mkfs will destroy all data on the specified device! OPTIONS
-c Check the device for bad blocks before building the file system. -j journal_device Create the external JFS journal on journal_device , create the JFS file system on device , and attach the external journal to the file system. -J journal-options Create the JFS journal on its own device or attach an external JFS journal to the JFS file system using options specified on the command-line. The following journal options are supported: journal_dev Create an external JFS journal on the given device. device=external-journal Attach an existing external JFS journal located on external-journal to the JFS file system that will be created on device. The external journal must already have been created using the command jfs_mkfs -J journal_dev external-journal Attach the external journal to the file system being created by using the command jfs_mkfs -J device=external-journal device Instead of specifying a device name directly, external-journal can also be specified by either LABEL=label or UUID=UUID to locate the external journal by either the volume label or UUID stored in the JFS external log superblock at the start of the journal. Use jfs_tune(8) to display a journal device's volume label and UUID. (See the -l, -L, and -U options of jfs_tune(8).) Only one of the journal_dev or device= options can be given per jfs_mkfs issuance. -L volume_label Set the volume label for the newly formatted device. If -L volume_label is used along with -J journal_device, the volume label of the specified external journal device will be set to volume_label. Otherwise, the volume label of the JFS file system will be set to volume_label. -O Provide case-insensitive support for compatibility with OS/2. -q Quiet execution - do not ask for confirmation before creating the file system. -s log_size Set the log size (in megabytes) of the inline log. If the -s option is not used, the default log size is 0.4% of the aggregate size. -V Print version information and exit (regardless of any other chosen options). EXAMPLES
Format 3rd partition on 2nd hard disk with the volume label "JFS_hdb3": jfs_mkfs -L JFS_hdb3 /dev/hdb3 Format 5th partition on 1st hard disk, verifying each block created: jfs_mkfs -c /dev/hda5 Format 3rd partition on 2nd hard disk as external journal, format 4th partition on 1st hard disk as JFS file system, and attach the exter- nal journal to the file system: jfs_mkfs -j /dev/hdb3 /dev/hda4 REPORTING BUGS
If you find a bug in JFS or jfs_mkfs, please report it via the bug tracking system ("Report Bugs" section) of the JFS project web site: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ Please send as much pertinent information as possible including any error messages resulting from running jfs_mkfs. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), jfs_fsck(8), jfs_fscklog(8), jfs_tune(8), jfs_logdump(8), jfs_debugfs(8) AUTHORS
Barry Arndt (barndt@us.ibm.com) William Braswell, Jr. jfs_mkfs is maintained by IBM. See the JFS project web site for more details: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ March 9, 2005 jfs_mkfs(8)