Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers man pages for while, for loops.. Post 30135 by peter.herlihy on Thursday 17th of October 2002 08:29:43 AM
Old 10-17-2002
Might be able to use man -k while

Can't try it - but the -k is a keyword search in the man pages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages

Hello , I just installed openssh in my system . I actually tried to man sshd but it says no entry , though there is a man directory in the installation which have the man pages for sshd . Can anyone tell me how should i install these man pages . DP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi, I've written now a man pages, but I don't knwo how to get 'man' to view them. Where have I to put this files, which directories are allowed?? THX Bensky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages query....

Hello,,, can I use any command in order to be able to see man pages,,, page per page instead for running too fast???:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi folks, I want to know all the commands for which man pages are available. How do i get it? Cheers, Nisha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

When reading man pages, I notice that sometimes commands are follwed by a number enclosed in parenthesis. such as: mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. What exactly does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. AIX

man pages in AIX

Hi all. A friend of mine just recently gave me an old RISC 6000 machine to learn on for my AIX certification. I installed AIX 4.3.3 and everything seems to work fine, except there are no man pages. Is there a way to generate man pages on this machine? Thanks alot in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlynch912
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 man pages

Hi there, Ive just installed Solaris 10 from DVD and when trying to access the man pages, I get this # man ls No manual entry for ls. so I set MANPATH to /usr/share/man where all the man pages seem to be located, and i get the same result !!! Is there something else I have to do, ie... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

8. SCO

man pages are gone. Anyone know how to resore it?

Not sure what I did but I can use man pages anymore here is what i get pictureb # man ls man: ls not found Any info will be appreciated. SCO 6 Openserver (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
2 Replies

9. Solaris

MAN PAGES

Hi everyone, I have a small query, in solaris the man pages get displayed on half of the terminal , can i get a full terminal or full screen display ?:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Looking for some man pages.

Can anyone supply me with the man pages for: omnidatalist omnibarlist omnisap.exe I prefer the source man pages in nroff format. A clue about the software bundles which supply these man pages is fine as well. OS: HP-UX TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
11 Replies
whatis(1)							   User Commands							 whatis(1)

NAME
whatis - display a one-line summary about a keyword SYNOPSIS
whatis command... DESCRIPTION
whatis looks up a given command and displays the header line from the manual section. You can then run the man(1) command to get more information. If the line starts name(section)... you can do man -ssection name to get the documentation for it. Try whatis ed and then you should do man -s 1 ed to get the manual page for ed(1). whatis is actually just the -f option to the man(1) command. whatis uses the /usr/share/man/windex database. This database is created by catman(1M). If this database does not exist, whatis will fail. FILES
/usr/share/man/windex Table of contents and keyword database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
apropos(1), man(1), catman(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 whatis(1)