Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris8(intel)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris8(intel) Post 2996 by Diesel on Friday 15th of June 2001 12:08:49 AM
Old 06-15-2001
Data Solaris8(intel)

I have just recently installed solaris8 on my box, and got two minor problems: Based on the size of partitions i should have approx 10gigs of mem., but the system registeres 0 space available on my harddrive....That problem results in a slight inability to install any apps... The second problem is that i am unable to power the comp down with "halt" Can somebody offer some input with regards to these annoyancesSmilie
Thank you all in advance
Diesel.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

downloaded solaris8

i have downloaded 3 zipped solaris ver 8 07/01 installation cd and i want to ask this question: 1. what will i do to burn it? do i need to extract the file and then burn it? what? Note: Those zipped files have only one file each and it has more than 100mb plus. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodelu
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A problme about solaris8

Hello,I have a problme when log on Solaris 8 ,screen show"DT information system do not startup".what's this.how to do it? thankx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yeliu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about grep on solaris8

there is -r switch for grep in linux, but in solaris 8, I found it doesn't support it. But I really need this function to rescue my sub-directories, so anybody can help me?thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldown
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Segmentation fault in solaris8

hi, I am running solaris8 under E220R. While adding the user system show the following error message. How can i overcome this error?. anyone plz help me. bash-2.03# passwd raja New Password: Re-enter new Password: Segmentation Fault Thanks muthu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris8

What is the max file system that I can create. Is the max 2TB? I trying to connect a iscsi device and Solaris can only see 999 GB. Do I have to change sector size? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmcguinn71
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help for add disk on solaris8

Hi, boss i have a question about the system add the new disk. I add 6 disks in Sunfire 880, i want to put these 6 disks in to service but i do not want re-install the system, some guys can give me some advie on this case? thanks very much the follow is detail 0. c1t0d0 <SUN72G cyl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
3 Replies

7. Solaris

netsnmp on solaris8 sparc

hello, I installed netsnmp 5.6 on solaris 8 (sparc). now I want to have cpu, memory and disk used, for this when i execute: snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost memory it displays me: End of mib please tel me how to do, to have this information (cpu, memory and disk used). thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamou23
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.profile in solaris8

question: why is that when I created a user under solaris8, i got two lines before the login.. sample: login as: user1 user1@1.1.1.1's password: Last login: Fri Feb 25 17:00:52 2011 from 12.0.0.5 Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000 Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
0 Replies

9. Solaris

wxWidgets on Solaris8

hello, i am trying to compile wxWidgets on a Solaris8 box, but get this message: checking for XML_ParserCreate in -lexpat... yes checking for mspack.h... no checking for X... no configure: error: X11 not found, please use --x-includes and/or --x-libraries options (see config.log for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norman Khine
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD