Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar command with compress option... Post 29690 by tomapam on Thursday 10th of October 2002 09:45:53 AM
Old 10-10-2002
tar command with compress option...

Hi !

i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years.
First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command :

ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}'

i obtain a list like this :

user_1
user_2
user_n

Now i want to archiv each homes using for==>do,done with a tar (with compress option) in it....

Can someone give me the syntax i should use...i am not good at procedure writing...

thx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and compress

I need to compress and tar a couple files in a directory, but I also want the original files unchanged, ie if I compress a1.cpp , then a1.cpp becomes a1.cpp.z, but what I want after running the compress utility is to have both a1.cpp as it is and a1.cpp.z and then tar a1.cpp.z to an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, Tar and Compress in one line

Hi all, I am supposed to collect a huge amount of log files from a unix system (HP-UX) onto a local system. The log files are not in one place, but they are scattered all over the Unix server. The unix server has only limited space, so that I can not create a tar file first and then compress it.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesky099
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress directories with .tar extension

hi guys.. Since am a bit new to shell scripting, can anyone help me with this problem please.. i've been struggling with it since 2 days. :( I have a directory lets say myFolder and within it I have sub directories let say myFolder1.tar, myFolder2, myFolder3, etc. I need to write a shell... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanexxx
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX: Command to compress folder and all files into a tar

I am trying to grab a folder and all the folders and files underneath it and send it from one computer to another. I basically want to compress the whole folder into a tar, tgz, or zip file so that it can be sent as one file. is there a command to compress a folder and all its contents into a tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kane4355
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive directory script with tar/compress

Hi all I need to write a script that archives all files with a certain date in the filename, to another location. It has to run on a AIX using tar/compress or another standard AIX tool. The directory will have x files, each prefixed with a date like yyyymmdd_desc.csv. I need all to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXfrog
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and compress in one step

I know there is a way to tar up directory and sub-directories and have it compressed all in one command but but the syntax escapes me. I seem to re-call something like this: tar -cvf /tmp/file.tar - | compress ? Can somebody please provide me with the syntax on how to tar/compress and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a tar command with the --exclude option in a Debian shell script.

Hi All, I am trying to execute the following tar command with two --exclude options to suppress extract of the two directories specified. Do I need to single quote the directory paths ?? Many thanks for your help. The relevant code excerpt from the script is: cd /var/www/${SITE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress 1st 20 Large different File using tar

Sorry guys.. dont know where to put this.. currently I am cleaning up system dump on our aix machine and I wanted to set zero the 1st 20 large file but before doing that I wanted to create some backup. is there any command that can compress all these file same time? tar syntax file? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thermometer
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-tar-in(1)