Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which distro best for me?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which distro best for me? Post 29617 by hachik on Wednesday 9th of October 2002 12:14:22 PM
Old 10-09-2002
redhat IMHO. It is easy to install, userconf , linuxconf and etc.. makes it to be userfreindly for users.

But anyway you sould chooose yourself Smilie i use both FreeBSD and linux and even windows Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. Debian

which distro?

Hi all, I know, it's a highly subjective and speculative question, but can anyone advise a Linux-newbie (haven't even started yet) on what distribution might be right in my case? - I have for all intents and purposes NO Linux experience. - I do have some previous IT experience. -- A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for right distro...

Hello all! I am searching for a *nix distro for a project I am about to undertake. I have a laptop (p3 500mhz, 128MB ram, 10GB hard drive) that I would like to use as a server for VPN & possibly hosting a small personal web site. Now, here is where it gets a bit tricky. There is no optical... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISK
2 Replies

4. Gentoo

Distro reccomendation

Ok i would like to dual boot the most unix like distro on my laptop (inspiron 1525). I would like to have no gui so i get used to the console etc but i guess being able to boot a gui if i'm desperate (prefer gnome). Thanks everyone. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swathe
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

6. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

7. Linux

how to build my own distro

howdy.... I am currently in a project, which needs a new distribution of linux.. At first, we select suse as our platform, but this newest version suse is at least several gigabytes. but recently, we want to run out system in a flash card with capacity of 500M, So, self-customized linux is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
6 Replies

8. Fedora

What distro for server

I want to setup a Linux Server on Win7 / Virtual Box for developmet/testing (LAMP, JavaScript). I am gonna need the following programs installed: MySQL Imagemagic Mencoder Ffmpeg Flvtool Qt-faststart Ioncube loader PHP I know that choice comes down to: Centos Fedora Debian ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtt89
2 Replies

9. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

10. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)