Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trying to strip the first 4 char. of a file out via commandline Post 2948 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 12th of June 2001 01:02:35 PM
Old 06-12-2001
thank ya once again.

yeah i really need to brush up o learn some sed.

thanks for the pointers tho.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip apostrophe from a file

I am trying to remove or replace various extraneous characters from a file so that subsequent processes work correctly. The characters that is giving me trouble is the apostrophe '. The command I 'm trying is sed 's/\'//g' ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file1 > ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file2 in a Korn script on HP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to strip the contants from a file

Hi, I have some EDI data which 830, 862 and 997. Here is the sample data: ISA~00~ ~00~ ~ZZ~F159B ~ZZ~U1CAD ~051215~184 3~U~00200~000011432~0~P~< GS~FA~TC11A~U1CAD~051215~1843~000011432~X~002002 ST~997~0001 AK1~SH~1168 AK2~856~11680001 AK5~A... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip non numerical data out of file?

Hi, How can I remove all non numerical data from line, so I don't want to delete the line but to have only the numbers. e.g.: ######### 123 aaa124 125bbb 126 127 ######### So I want all the leading and trailing non numerical stuff(letters/white space/tabs anything else except... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to strip rows from a text file?

Can an expert kindly write an efficient Linux ksh script that will strip rows with no numbers from a text file? Supposing there are three rows that text file called text.txt : "field1","field2","field3",11,22,33,44 "field1","field2","field3",1,2,3,4 "field1","field2","field3",,,, The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihot
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip first 4 and last 2 lines from a file using perl

Hi I have a file from which i need to remove the first 4 and the last 2 lines.. i know how to do it with sed but i need to do it in a perl script.. can you please help me how to do that. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip csv file

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me: i am trying to get some info from a csv file, after i awk the column i need , i made a selection and output it in a file. now i need to get a list from this file, but i stuck with some fields. basically i have a text file with next data: 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostym
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print and append output of nawk script in commandline and as well into a file?

Hi All, I am working on nawk script, has the small function which prints the output on the screen.Am trying to print/append the same output in a file. Basically nawk script should print the output on the console/screen and as well it should write/append the same result to a file. script :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a line in every file with perl commandline?

Hi, i want to add a line at the beginning of every file in a directory. perl -i.bkp -p -e 'print "#include /verif/pdd1/exu/sxs/6sTest/reset/dfu/top_level.reset\n" if $. == 1' *.reset But this command is updating only the first file in the directory. I think this is because $. is not resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load config file at commandline

Hello, This would be very basic question to most of you, but for me as a newbie it is an un-know. I would like to load a configuration file into memory before executing a specific command. For example: I have a config file that holds all the database connectivity information and I'd like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babyPen1985
5 Replies
SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-table - GNU shtool pretty-print a field-separated list SYNOPSIS
shtool table [-F|--field-sep sep] [-w|--width width] [-c|--columns cols] [-s|--strip strip] strsepstr... DESCRIPTION
This pretty-prints a list of strings as a table. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -F, --field-sep sep Separate columns using sep. Default is ":". -w, --width width Width of each column. Default is 15 characters. -c, --columns cols Number of columns. Default is 3. -s, --strip strip Strip off any characters past strip. Default is 79. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool table -F , -w 5 -c 4 "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12" HISTORY
The GNU shtool table command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), tr(1), fmt(1), sh(1), awk(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)