Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Triple boot
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Triple boot Post 29397 by LivinFree on Friday 4th of October 2002 10:29:10 PM
Old 10-04-2002
Sharing partitions can be done, even as the OS loads, using the /etc/fstab file. You'll probably want to make the partition available only as data storage, since it's easier to make sure the filesystems are the same (ext2 is the safest in this case). If there are binaries, you may run into problems depending on the glibc versions used to compile them, and the library versions needed. They'd have to be so similar, it would take the point out of multi-booting.

If you want each to have it's own set of partitions, that'd be even better! Since the installation will set up partitions for you, just let it. I don't know how safe it is to use shared swap, either, but you may be able to share that.
For example, you could have it set up like this:
7.0 - / is hdb1, /usr is hdb2, swap on hdb3
7.3 - /boot is hdb4,/ is hdb5,/usr is hdb6, swap on hdb7
Or however you felt like setting it up...
Through the magic of extended partitions, it could work just fine!

Besides, why Redhat 7.0 and 7.3 on the same box? They're close enough that it's almost like having the same thing on there twice!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Triple bootup

Hi guys, May I know how to install Solaris 8 in the way that I can triple boot it with my the other two OS: WIndows ME and Windows 2000 Pro. Can you all please kindly advise me on how to setup the triple boot process inorder to allow Windows ME to be the default OS when being ask to choose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cia
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Triple Boot with sun 8 redhat 7.2 and xp

HI. I need some help installing three operating system on to one hard drive i have xp running and i installed sun solaris there was no problem but when i installed redhat hat it display a error on the disk, i know it is not overlapping, i looked on this board, but still can not figure this out,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Triple Boot Machine

I'm in a predicament right now! I have RedHat 7.2 ,Debian 2.2r5 ,and Windows ME. I am currently in a Sun Solaris 8 class and will soon acquire a copy of Solaris 8. I would like to start a small home network ,but 4 pc's for the house would be a little too expensive for me right now. What I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
4 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

5. Programming

Help needed regarding Triple Des

Hi, Does anyone know of a good site where i can find C source code example of Triple Des algorithim? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues

I have a pentium IV with 512 MB ram and 80 GB HDD. I first installed windows XP on the first primary partition, then Solaris on the second with 20 GB for the solaris partition, and when rebooted , the grub menu functioned as expected giving me the options to dual boot, so next I wanted to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

7. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting /home as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a generator that automatically discovers /home and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). Note that this generator will execute no operation on non-GPT systems, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the mount point is non-empty. This generator will only look for partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is stored on. This generator has no effect on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. This generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for swap partitions using GPT type 0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e50933c84b4f4f. It looks for /home partitions using GPT type 933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b8440e14e2aef915. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements the generator specification[1]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-efi-boot-generator(8), fstab(5) NOTES
1. generator specification http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Generators systemd 208 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)