Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP-UX 11 - disk errors
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX 11 - disk errors Post 29391 by Optimus_P on Friday 4th of October 2002 05:26:25 PM
Old 10-04-2002
i thought it was only volume groups that can not be reduced. or was that only logical groups?

i really wanna say its the VG that is a static. IE: you can add and swap disks but you cant make it smaller w/ out removeing it and recreateing it.

mmmmmm makes me go back to my aix documention. i know its not hp-ux but its the only other os i have that uses a "smarter disk management system"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible disk errors

I have a SunOS 5.8 server. I suspect there may be errors with one of the physical disks (based on someone reporting hearing a "clicking sound" during the night shift, however I do not hear anything this morning). Which log would show this? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

3. AIX

IDE DISK ERR2 and LVM SA STALEPP errors in errpt

Hi, I'm getting the errors below in the errpt report for a IBM Blade server. I'm guessing there's a problem with one of the disks but don't know how I can confirm this. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Regards Gareth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk errors with san snapshot

so we have a solrais 9 system attached to an HP SAN. we are using sssu to do snap clones every hour. the only problem is the we get write errors on the solrais system every time we do a snap. from /var/adm/messages Apr 21 14:37:48 svr001 scsi: WARNING:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting hard or soft disk errors in Solaris

I am looking for some tips or suggestions in how to do the following. 1) From a Solaris server, I run the command iostat -En and receive output that is similiar to the following which shows your disks along with the cdrom/dvdrom: c0t2d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Sparc Ultra 4 won't boot - disk errors

Hi all. I am seeing in one of our less-used servers that it crashed and now won't restart. I get the message 'continue with normal startup or boot into maintenance mode'. I go into maintenance and run fsck on /usr0 (mentioned in error at restart) it then reboots but goes right back to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
3 Replies

8. AIX

errpt kept sending errors after disk replacement

Hi, The system is a Power6 8204 with an external storage 7031. OS is AIX 5.3. I replaced a failed disk hdisk28 and put it back to the volume group. Everything looks just fine. After the replacement, errpt has kept sending "Perm DISK OPERATION ERROR". Other than the error, everything still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

where to find the message "Your disk drives are being checked for errors"

Hi, During start up I got the message "Your disk drives are being checked for errors". But it went so fast that I could read following messages. Once logged I though I could find it in "dmesg" but nothing... May someone know where I can find plese ? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Hard Errors on Disk Drive

Hi, What are the initial checks needs to be done while observing hard errors on one of the hard disk drive. Thanks, Babu. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
1 Replies
WREN(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   WREN(3)

NAME
wren, ata - hard disk interface SYNOPSIS
bind #H[drive] /dev bind #w[target[.lun]] /dev /dev/hd0disk /dev/hd0partition /dev/sd0disk /dev/sd0partition ... DESCRIPTION
The hard disk interfaces (wren, #w, is a SCSI disk; ata, #H, is an IDE or ATA disk) serve a one-level directory giving access to the hard disk partitions. The parameter to attach defines the numerical SCSI target and logical unit number or the IDE drive number to access. Both default to zero. Each partition name is prefixed by hd and the numeric drive identifier. The partition always exists and covers the entire disk. The size of each partition as reported by stat(2) is the number of bytes in the partition, so the size of is the size of the entire disk. The partition also always exists; it is the last block on the disk for SCSI, second to last for IDE. If it contains valid partition data, those partitions will be visible as well. Every time the device is bound, the partitions are updated to reflect any changes in the parti- tion file. The format of the partition file is the string plan9 partitions on a line, followed by partition specifications, one per line, consisting of a name and textual strings for the block start and limit for each partition on the disk. The program prep(8) writes the partition table for the disk; its use is preferred to writing it by hand. SEE ALSO
prep(8), scsi(3) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devwren.c /sys/src/9/pc/devata.c WREN(3)