Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping a perl script in a shell script Post 29373 by Optimus_P on Friday 4th of October 2002 10:28:48 AM
Old 10-04-2002
if you use ./script &

when you get your prompt back you can type "fg" adn it will bring that backgroup process to the fourground then you can control C to stop it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping through a variable in a shell script

hi, my first question is :- i would like to know how do i loop through the output of a variable. for ex:- if i have a variable called x and echo $x gives the output like feb 19 07 feb 20 07 feb 21 07 i would like to know how do i loop through this since it is separated and i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramachandranrr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert shell script for looping

Situation: I have a working shell script on our file server (OSXS Tiger) to connect to a workstation, which is using a portable home directory (phd), and rsync a user's MirrorAgent.log. I'm not that strong of a scripter (obviously), but I would like to add other workstations to this script as they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: le0pard13
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Run a shell script from Perl script in Parent shell?

Hi Perl/UNIX experts, I have a problem in running a shell script from my perl script (auto.pl). I run the perl script using perl auto.pl from the shell prompt The shell script picks the files in "input" folder and procesess it. The shell script blue.sh has this code. export... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifake
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through a shell script with sql statements

Hello members, I'm working on the Solaris environment and the DB i'm using is Oracle 10g. Skeleton of what I'm attempting; Write a ksh script to perform the following. I have no idea how to include my sql query within a shell script and loop through the statements. Have therefore given a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice82
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script 'system' linking to local shell script not working

Trying to figure out why this works: printpwd.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI::Carp qw( fatalsToBrowser ); print "Content-type: text/html\n\n"; $A = system("pwd"); $A = `pwd`; print "$A\n"; ^^actually that works/breaks if that makes any sense.. i get the working directory twice but when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell Script: While function not fully looping

I am new to scripting and this is probably the 4th or 5th simple script I have written. I am working with a HUGE number of data that need to be organized into folders and named a certain way. I wrote the naming script using a while function to go through the 1000-some folders and rename the files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notluckyhannah
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping in the shell script with help of script timer.

Hello Experts- We are facing some issues in the while loop script when we use the script time to decide whether to exist from the loop or continue. Below is the script SrcExitLoop="FALSE" Src_InitialStartTime=`date +%s` Src_StartTime=`date +%s` Src_NUM_ALERTS=0 TOTAL_ALERTS=`expr <SOME... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping not completing in shell script

Hi, Iam using below code to login to servers to get cpu utilisation. but output is coming for only one server. code is below root@blr-svr-oclan-01 # more SSSC_CPU_UTIL1.sh #!/bin/sh echo "CPU UTILIZATION" while read line; do IDLE=`/usr/local/bin/sshpass -p 'xxx' ssh xxx@$line 'sar 2 2' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Shell Script in place of Perl script to Unzip the zip files.

Hi Expert, We have some shell scripts which Internally uses Perl Script to Unzip the source zip files which comes to inbound directory. So now our requirement is to avoid the dependency on Perl Script and us Shell Script to unzip the files. I have the Perl script with me attached can some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.dasu
3 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)