Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cronjob problems...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cronjob problems... Post 29325 by saabir on Thursday 3rd of October 2002 12:07:49 PM
Old 10-03-2002
If your script is running from the command line, but failing via cron, and it complains of not finding/being able to open something it might be due to an undefined variable.

Ensure you are declaring all the variables in the script that it needs, where it not running in a login shell. Take a look at the variables set as part of your login shell and if some of them are used by the script, make sure you have declared them in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob

Please can someone help me. I need to set up a cron job to measure CPU usage, Disk I/O and memory usage over a period of 1 minute along with the number of users logged into the system. I also need to send it to another user besides myself every hour. Please can someone help me! Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

CronJob

Dear Guru, I have submitted some cronjobs that has been running for quite sometimes. However, today I counter some cronjob did not run. Can you please explain what causes this to happen. Any system setting that limit number of cronjob per minutes to be started, etc? Thanks. Kelly (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcng08
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cronjob

hi iam new at unix.iam running a cronjob,which i want to run on the first day of every month at 1AM.this is what i have specified: 00 01 1 * * is this corect? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wiz83
1 Replies

4. Solaris

at vs cronjob

HI, What is the differnece between at / con job? thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems in running a Perl script via cronjob

I have a very basic perl script that attempts to find if a process is running. If the process is not running then the script is supposed to start the process. If I execute the script from command line it works fine as expected. However if the script is executed via cronjob, the script cannot find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypant
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob

Hi, I'm totally new to shell scripting. I need help in my crontab script. I'm trying to read some values from user (username, log file directory, server) and then use those value to create a crontab for log rotation after some interval of time. creating crontabs manually isn't big deal.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: MisterKhan
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cancel a cronjob if the cronjob still running

hi everyone I'm newbie in this forum hope I can get some help here :) I have a command in crontab that executed every 1 minute sometime this command need more than 1 minute to finish the problem is, the crontab execute this command although it's not finish processing yet and causing the system... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2j4h
7 Replies

8. AIX

SH Script Execution Problems with Cronjob

Hi, I have created a sh script to startup and shutdown the oracle database, when I execute the script thru command line it execute successfully, but when I call the script thru cronjob it does not execute. The scripts are as follows: LOG=/oracle/times.log export ORACLE_SID=prod echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cronjob

Is the cronjob below can run only first wednesday of every month? 30 5 1-7 * 3 command please tell me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cronjob

How to set cronjob for 48 hours. I can set for 2 days as shown below. * * */2 * * It is creating confusion for 30 days & 31 days per month. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishit
3 Replies
SERVICE(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)