Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I'm a newbie (to UNIX)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I'm a newbie (to UNIX) Post 29311 by Optimus_P on Thursday 3rd of October 2002 09:17:14 AM
Old 10-03-2002
you can also do a search for post just like yours.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If this isn't newbie nothing is...how do I start GNOME?

First off, I know this isn't a LINUX board, but I figured it was close enough that no one would get upset. Anyway, I have Windows2000 and Linux running dual-boot. That works fine, but when I boot into Linux all I get is a command prompt. How do I start gnome or kde? I read the manual, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi, everybody...i'm a real newbie

Hi mates.... i just got started...truely so...cuz i just borrowed a Unix for dummies from the library...wondering if i could go download a system to play with...but i don't no where....any suggestions? thanx a lot :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PhilO_<
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX PATH info required PLEASE HELP (I'm new to unix)

I need to know how to enter a unix path in a cgi script for a guest book: example: My URL is http://www.kitachi.info I have an html file in the main folder on my site, the file is called : gbook.html what would the correct unix path for this file be ??? the part of the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akitachi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ISO's for FTP, I've searched the other Posts

Where Do I download Unix ISO's for free? I have searched this database for other related posts, but to no avail. All I need is this info, and I don't want Linux; just a Unix site. Please and thank you for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killrazor
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies
search.h(3HEAD)                                                       Headers                                                      search.h(3HEAD)

NAME
search.h, search - search tables SYNOPSIS
#include <search.h> DESCRIPTION
The <search.h> header defines the ENTRY type for structure entry, which includes the following members: char *key void *data and defines ACTION and VISIT as enumeration data types through type definitions as follows: enum { FIND, ENTER } ACTION; enum { preorder, postorder, endorder, leaf } VISIT; The size_t type is defined as described in <sys/types.h>. See types.h(3HEAD). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hsearch(3C), insque(3C), lsearch(3C), tsearch(3C), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 search.h(3HEAD)