Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dynamic MOTD
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dynamic MOTD Post 29167 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 08:45:55 AM
Old 10-01-2002
I would not want to call this impossible, but it would be very hard and dangerous and there is a better approach to do what you want.

/etc/motd is display because the shells are reading common scripts at login time. For sh, bash, and ksh it is /etc/profile. For csh it might be /etc/.login or some other file. You will need to check the man pages for each shell in use on your system to be sure. But each of these startup scripts will have a "cat /etc/motd" somewhere in them. Just add you own code to do whatever else is needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Editing motd

Hie. Im having a problem editing the motd ( message of the day ). I tried to edit the file /etc/motd but its end up with nothing. I find out the directory /etc/motd is in rw- r - r i changed it to executable rwxw-rw-r but having same thing no changes in the motd. Anyone having any idea how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MOTD File?

Anyone know how to change the location of the MOTD file from the default /etc/motd? An annoying person with root access has found out how to edit the file and change my MOTDs. Help me. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex00me
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

6. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sql dynamic table / dynamic inserts

I have a file that reads File (X.txt) Contents of record 1: rdrDESTINATION_ADDRESS (String) "91 971502573813" rdrDESTINATION_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrORIGINATING_ADDRESS (String) "d0 movies" rdrORIGINATING_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrTRAFFIC_EVENT_TIME... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
0 Replies

8. Solaris

MOTD Display

Hi all, Wish to check which setting is set to display the MOTD AFTER successful password verification. I am logging in via a 3rd party ssh tool tectia. Eg. Login: password: OS Prompt> Thanks Eugene (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
5 Replies

9. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

/etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory? I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better? I knew that being a director, but many told me not. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mescu
1 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)