Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reversing file order using SED Post 29102 by Perderabo on Monday 30th of September 2002 09:43:32 AM
Old 09-30-2002
Optimus_P, this doesn't look like homework to me. Reversing a list of patches may be necessary to back them all out correctly. I do agree that "sed" is not a great choice. But we need more than just "sort". We can't assume that the data is currently sorted.

MBGPS, it looks like you completely overwrite the file on each iteration. If you don't have the "rev" command, try this:
nl -ba input | sort -nr | cut -f2- > output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the order using sed

I have a text "abc def ghi" and I want to get it as "def abc ghi" I am using this echo "abc def ghi" | sed 's/\(*\)\(*\)/\2\1/' But I am not able to get the output, could anyone help me. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing a line

Hi, I could not find this anywhere and I am wondering if someone knows a quick way of doing this. So heres the problem... I have a row that looks like this (an example): 5 4 3 2 1 What I want to do is reverse it so it looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 Does anyone know the simple unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to order a file

Hi - I have a file with lots of lines in that I need to order based on the number of commas! e.g the file looks something like :- cn=john,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com cn=john,cn=users,dc=com cn=users,cn=groups,dc=com cn=john,cn=admins,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing line and word order using awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I was wandering if I could reverse line and word order from a text file using awk. I figured out how to do them both separately, but can't quite figure out how to mix them. Example: Input file: dog cat mouse 1 2 3 I am new to awk Output of the awk program:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blink_w
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing text order of each line of a file in UNIX

My input is: hello how are you my chemistry book is lost what is up etc... And I want the output to be: you are how hello lost is book chemistry my up is what .... I found an earlier response to a similar question but it was not accurate as it required a certain string length for each line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed string with any order

Hi, i have a strange prob. log file contains ip, protocol, user name, agent . these can be in any order. If log contains the above order able to fetch all details but if details are in diff order not able to fetch all details. using below command. grep -A50 "Entry " "/logs/file.log" \ |grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - searching token in certain order

Hello. I would like to write a bash function which would return "true" if the search succeed else return anything else. something like if ] ; then exit 1 fi function my_funct () { find first occurrence $2 in $1 if not found return "false" from that position,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)