Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers console access via serial port - settings Post 2904 by simplimarvelous on Friday 8th of June 2001 04:36:11 PM
Old 06-08-2001
my U60 doesnt have a console port that i can see, only two serial ports, can these be used as console ports

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. AIX

cant telnet to aix 5.2 and not even access through serial console

I have installed aix 5.2 on aix box through serial console connected to COM 1 . I even get a login prompt after the fresh installation . But as soon as i give a root & enter i again get a login prompt.i..e I am not able to logon after a fresh installation. and even i configured IP configuration... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnightowl84
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trajek
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire V890 - Unable to access RSC or Serial console

Hello Folks, I am having trouble to login to rsc or serial console of V890. The rsc2.2.3 has been configured with required parameters, resetrs and even rebooted. When serial port is connected to laptop, The hyper terminal does not get the console or POSt messages when the server is rebooting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: defflepord
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to access serial port from non-global solaris zone on netra 240

I am trying to use a serial communications device that is connected to /dev/ttyb on a netra 240 server. This is a solaris zone configuration using solaris 10 0910. I am able to access /dev/ttyb from the global zone but not throught he non-global zone. I have enabled all of the tty devices in my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: disagreeable
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to enable Serial port on ILOM, when Network Port is enabled in parallel

Hi Everyone, In my environment, I have few T5220. On the iLOM Management Card, I have both Network and Serial port are cabled, I don't have any issues while I try to connect using Network Management port, but when I try to connect the serial port for the same server which is actually connected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Cabling and adapters to communicate to service processor serial port from Windows PC with USB port.

Hello, I have an unloaded T5140 machine and want to access the ILOM for the first time and subsequently the network port after that., and then load Solaris 10 the final January 2011 build. The first part is what confuses me -the cabling. I am coming from a Windows machine (w/appropriate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
5 Replies
ace(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    ace(7)

NAME
ace - Serial communications interface SYNOPSIS
controller ace0 at * slot ? vector aceintr DESCRIPTION
The ace serial line controller provides a serial communications interface on DEC 2000, AlphaStation, and AlphaServer platforms. The serial communications ports that are controlled by ace adhere to the RS-232 standard and can operate at rates from 50 to 115200 baud (see tty(7)). These communications ports support serial-line printers, modems, and terminals. In alternate console configurations (that is, no graphics head), the terminal to be the system console must be connected to the port that is mapped to /dev/tty00. (See ports(7) for information about mapping AlphaStation and AlphaServer port labels to device pathnames.) Cur- rently, some processors that use the ace driver limit the serial console port to 9600 baud, 8-bit, no parity and no modem support. However, some processor consoles do support baud rates other than 9600 baud and allow the use of modems as console devices. Consult your hardware documentation to determine the type of console support your system provides. The driver for the ace interface supports hardware flow control using the Request to Send (RTS) and Clear to Send (CTS) signals. When hardware flow control is enabled, the flow of input data is controlled by the RTS signal and the flow of output data is controlled by the CTS signal. If the CTS signal is off, the driver suspends output to that line until the CTS lead is reasserted. Likewise the driver turns off the RTS lead to tell the device connected to the line to stop sending data as a result of congestion on the host side. When the condi- tion clears, the driver turns on the RTS lead to tell the device to resume sending data. The DCD (carrier detect) timer value defaults to 2 seconds. This value may be changed if your modem hardware requires a different value. the change can be made in the /etc/sysconfigtab file as follows: ace: dcd_timer=n where n is the time interval in seconds, and can be set to 0 (no timeout), 1, or 2 seconds. Alternatively, you can use the sysconfig com- mand to set the same time interval option as follows: # sysconfig -r ace dcd_timer=[n] If you use the sysconfig command, the value will not be preserved when the system is rebooted. To preserve the setting, put the entry in the /etc/sysconfigtab file NOTES
If you are using the alternate system console to perform kernel debugging, you must change the kdebug entry in the /etc/remote file to use /dev/tty01; when the kernel is running in debugging mode, no other application can use the port. See Kernel Debugging for information on setting up your system for kernel debugging. RESTRICTIONS
Unless alternative specifications are stated in your system hardware documentation, data communications equipment attached to the console serial port in alternate console configurations must be set to 9600 baud, 8-bits, no parity. If a serial console is being used, /dev/tty00 cannot be opened by another process. The ace driver enforces this restriction. Baud rates greater than 38400 are not supported on the two primary serial ports on the DEC 2000 system. However, if you use an ISA serial or modem card that is capable of communicating at the higher rates, the higher rates are supported. FILES
console terminal local terminal local terminal RELATED INFORMATION
MAKEDEV(8), console(7), devio(7), modem(7), ports(7), tty(7) Kernel Debugging System Administration delim off ace(7)