Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .rhosts and rsh command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .rhosts and rsh command Post 28940 by larry on Thursday 26th of September 2002 03:07:35 PM
Old 09-26-2002
mikek147,

I have looked in to that already. To my understanding if you DON NOT have any entires in your hosts.allow, hosts.deny or hosts.equiv. The deamon would look in your home directory for your .rhosts file if there were no entires in thoses files. This file should tell the deamon that the machine and hostname is OK and will grant permission. My question is why I'm I not about to do this even tho I have a .rhosts file in my home directory. Did I setup my in.rshd wrong. Should I add my user name in the /etc/xinetd.d/rsh file to the user? DNS is not a problem. I can ping to it ( the rsh to machine). ANYONE??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsh command

Newbie here, I want to add a line to our 3D rendering scripts that will send an email to the animators once a scene has finished rendering. The 3D scripts are on the client hosts and the sendmail setup on the server. I tried using a rsh line in the script as follows rsh root@blah echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamethrower
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh command

Hi, I'm performing a data migration from an Ingres db to an Oracle db. The ingres database lives on a unix host running "UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0 (SunOS 5.5.1) ", while the Oracle database lives on another unix host running "SunOS 5.8". Part of the migration is to remotely run Oracle's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strpeski
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSH command

Hello, I am trying to determine 2 things on a remote host. 1. Is file a directory or file 2. Does the file or directory exist Not too familiar with "find" command although I believe that may be a possible way. I have tried: remsh "$HOST" test -e /home/test.script && echo "yes" This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

rhosts file...

Hi all, Thanks for reading and any susequente posts.... ... I am running a RedHat Ent 3 server. Anyhow I have to do an rlogin to install some software on the box. The problem is that the solaris box I am trying to do the install from carn't get an rlogin. I have tested this with other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh command

Hi, I am a beginner and i want to seek help I want to use the rsh command. Is there a possibility that i can do it without the system password I am planning to make a csh script that could browse/copy files from diferent workstations. thank you.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wramonzon
5 Replies

6. Linux

rsh command

we want to execute remote script via rsh (we just only should use rsh except others),but rsh command can not set environment variable for specify user, then scripts can not be executed correctly,anyone knows how to fix this problem? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Problems with rsh command

Hello guys, I have a script in a Linux server, from where I go to 3 Sun servers and run process. Now i have done an upgrade and increase 1 Sun server more, now i need to run the shell in the Linux Server (into the shell is rsh command), but when i try to do ir with the new Sun server, i hace the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command

Hi Does anybody know how to to return the exit code of a remote command when using rsh? I know that "rsh" has no built-in ability for that. The echo $? is showing the results of the rsh command. Not the remotely executed command. I am trying to get the return code of psef command from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh command - ksh

Hello, I am trying to run a remote file (y.ksh) using rsh. In this action i want to use an environment variable TOOL=/home/macc1 i am running the rsh from profile macc on server1. rsh server2 -l macc1 "$TOOL/y.ksh" but i can see that the executable command = /home/macc/y.ksh and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

10. Solaris

After reboot the .rhosts file in nobody nobody

Hi All, I have a station in solaris 10 in a environnemet NIS. after reboot of the station the file ". rhosts" has the UID / GID nobody. Could you please help me to find the solution? Thx. Vince (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vince78
0 Replies
hosts.equiv(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    hosts.equiv(4)

NAME
hosts.equiv - A file containing the names of remote systems and users that can execute commands on the local system SYNOPSIS
/etc/hosts.equiv DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hosts.equiv file and the .rhosts file in a user's home directory contain the names of remote hosts and users that are equivalent to the local host or user. An equivalent host or user is allowed to access a local nonsuperuser account with the rsh command or rcp com- mand, or to log in to such an account without having to supply a password. The /etc/hosts.equiv file specifies equivalence for an entire system, while a user's .rhosts file specifies equivalence between that user and remote users. The local user and the target system exist in the same area as the hosts.equiv file. The .rhosts file must be owned by the user in whose home directory the file is located, or by the superuser. It cannot be a symbolic link. Each line, or entry, in hosts.equiv or .rhosts may consist of the following: A blank line. A comment (begins with a #). A host name (a string of any printable characters except newline, #, or white space). In addition, an NIS netgroup can be specified in place of the host name. A host name followed by white space and a user name. In addition, an NIS netgroup can be specified in place of the host name, user name, or both. A single plus (+) character. This means any host and user. The keyword NO_PLUS. This keyword disallows the use of the plus character (+) to match any host or user on a system-wide basis. By default, the line containing this keyword is a comment. Remove the com- ment character to disallow the use of the plus character. Entries in the hosts.equiv file are either positive or negative. Positive entries allow access; negative entries deny access. The following entries are positive: host name user name +@netgroup In addition, the plus sign (+) can be used in place of the host name or user name. In place of the host name, it means any remote host. In place of the user name, it means any user. The following entries are negative: -host name -user name -@netgroup To be allowed access or denied access, a user's remote host name and user name must match an entry in hosts.equiv or .rhosts. The hosts.equiv file is searched first; if a match is found, the search ends. Therefore, the order in which the positive and negative entries appear is important. If a match is not found, .rhosts is searched if it exists in the user's home directory. A host name or user name can match an entry in hosts.equiv in one of the following ways: The official host name (not an alias) of the remote host matches a host name in hosts.equiv. The remote user name matches a user name in hosts.equiv. If a user name parameter is included in the hosts.equiv file, this means that the remote user is a trusted user and is allowed to rlogin to any local user account without being prompted for a password. Otherwise, if the user name parameter is not specified in the hosts.equiv file, the name of the remote user must match that of the local user. If the remote user name does not match a user name in hosts.equiv, the remote user name matches the local user name. CAUTIONS
For security purposes, the files /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts should exist and be readable and writable only by the owner, even if they are empty. EXAMPLES
The following are sample entries in an /etc/hosts.equiv file: # Allows access to users on host1 and host2 that have accounts on this host: host1 host2 # Allows access to user johnson on host1 to any local user: host1 johnson # Allows access to all users on systems specified in netgroup chicago +@chicago # Denies access to users specified in netgroup finance on host5 host5 -@finance # Allows access to all users on all systems except root + -root RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1) Functions: ruserok(3). Files: netgroup(4) Daemons: rlogind(8), rshd(8) delim off hosts.equiv(4)