Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what is /dev/pts/1
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is /dev/pts/1 Post 28804 by yls177 on Tuesday 24th of September 2002 09:49:30 PM
Old 09-24-2002
what is /dev/pts/1

hi, i ran tty and get this /dev/pts/1?

what does /dev/pts/1 indicates about my terminal and the device files? thanks
yls177

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

who -uH, kill the process at different pts/tb

i log in as root and is in pts/11 , do a who -uH, got the below root pts/11 Dec 11 08:01 0:10 11588 root pts/12 Dec 11 09:09 0:03 12001 now do a ps -ef | grep pts/12, get the below root 12133 12107 0 09:18:22 pts/13 0:00 vi myoracle root 12107 12105 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger, getting name and pts from ip addr

im ultra new at unix and was wondering if its possible to create aliases of the write command that send messeges to users using an ip address. i was thinking to use the '|awk' with the command finger but as i've said im a total newbie. thanks a lot in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swag:þ
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

one of the mount pts 100%

Hi all, recently we had a critical error like one of the mount points /online was 100% full. Even when we deleted three ( 3 ) 0.5 GB files available space in /online mount was not increasing rather df -k for /online continued to show as 100% full. what could be the problem, even... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching the active pts?

My apologies in advance if this question has already been asked or if I use incorrect terminology; I have tried searching for nearly an hour without any luck. Is there any way to change the active TTY for a session? I was monitoring a long (~5 hour) process through an SSH connection and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tspicher
4 Replies

5. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pts and tty

hi iam very new to linux can anyone tell me about pts and tty acctually today morning i logged into my pc at 9:51 when i have given #who it has given sam tty7 9:51 sam pts/1 10:11 so what does it mean (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praneel2k
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending alt-n to /dev/pts/1 from process bound to /dev/pts/2

Hello, i am using finch (unix commandline instant messaging client using libgnt) which is running connected to /dev/pts/1 Now I would like to "remote control" the program by sending the key combinations normally typed on the keyboard from a programm in another shell. So I tried:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mentos
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with PTS

Hello, I´m working with an m4000 server, with solaris 11. the problem is when users connect to the server, I have the range from pts/65 to pts/128 "blocked". The system does not take any pts of that range. Usually a close all the connections and the problem is solved, but this time that solution... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvador_cast
3 Replies
PTY(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    PTY(4)

NAME
pty -- BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver SYNOPSIS
device pty DESCRIPTION
The pty driver provides support for the traditional BSD naming scheme that was used for accessing pseudo-terminals. When the device /dev/ptyXX is being opened, a new terminal shall be created with the pts(4) driver. A device node for this terminal shall be created, which has the name /dev/ttyXX. New code should not try to allocate pseudo-terminals using this interface. It is only provided for compatibility with older C libraries that tried to open such devices when posix_openpt(2) was being called. FILES
The BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver uses the following device names: /dev/pty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal master devices. /dev/tty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal slave devices. DIAGNOSTICS
None. SEE ALSO
posix_openpt(2), pts(4), tty(4) HISTORY
A pseudo-terminal driver appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Unlike previous implementations, the master slave device nodes are destroyed when the PTY becomes unused. A call to stat(2) on a nonexistent master device will already cause a new master device node to be created. The master device can only be destroyed by opening and closing it. The pty driver cannot be unloaded, because it cannot determine if it is being used. BSD
August 20, 2008 BSD