Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi Editor
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Vi Editor Post 28788 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 24th of September 2002 02:47:08 PM
Old 09-24-2002
The only way I know of, even if they get the code from Dreamweaver or Frontpage is to make them enter all code in class or lab only. However, you would have to keep a copy of the file they have on a central server and then distribute and retrieve each class period.

IMHO, This wouldn't present a good environment for learning.

Let me say that what you are suggesting is very difficult to do. I would be happy and supprised if they could think of 10 pages of HTML code!!!

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor ?

Hello everybody, My question is: how to add /tmp/work at the end of line in vi editor. my file looks like: cp file1 cp file2 cp file3 **** I need to add " /tmp/work" at the end of each line. I tried this :%s/$/" /tmp/work" and this :%s/$/\ /tmp/work\/ but it does not work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one? thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi editor

Hi, how can I add at the begining and at the end of all of the lines of my text file in VI editor ? Many thanks before. for exemple if in my file i have line 1 line 2 I want to have : start line 1 end start line 2 end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain123456
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

vi editor

I am new in hp ux and I want work with vi editor, but in hp ux vi editor the backspaes and del keys doesn't work. how can I enable them. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkoolivand
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

About vi editor

How can ` character be printed on vi editor ? empl_id=`echo $line | awk ' { print $1; } '` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to use @ in VI editor

Hello All, Need one Help for one issue. I am using a French Keyboard, so @ sign is on key 0 and i have to use right Alt + 0 to print it. It is working everywhere but not inside Vi editor. I can type @ in shell, in notepad. But inside Vi editor it is not working, another problem is that if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
2 Replies

10. Open Source

What editor does everyone use?

I was looking through the topics and I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this question: I was wondering, out of curiosity, which software everyone was using to code their scripts in. I do mostly sh/ksh and my favorite has always been EditPlus because it is small, fast, yet powerful.... (409 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
409 Replies
eucset(1)						      General Commands Manual							 eucset(1)

NAME
eucset - Sets and gets EUC code widths for the terminal SYNOPSIS
eucset [cswidth] eucset -p OPTIONS
Displays the current settings of the EUC character widths for the terminal DESCRIPTION
The eucset command sets or gets the encoding and display widths of the Extended UNIX Code (EUC) characters processed by the current input terminal. EUC is an encoding method for code sets composed of single or multiple bytes. It permits applications and the terminal hardware to use the 7-bit US ASCII code and up to three single- or multibyte code sets simultaneously. If you use the eucset command to set EUC character widths, but do not specify the cswidth argument, 7-bit U.S. ASCII is applied as a default code set. You must use the command to specify any other EUC code sets, whether they are single-byte or multibyte. EUC Code Set Classes EUC divides code sets into four classes. Each code set class has two characteristics: the number of bytes for encoding the characters in the class, and the number of display columns to display the characters in the class. All characters within a class possess the same char- acteristics. Class 0 consists of all 7-bit, single-byte ASCII characters. The most-significant bit of each of these characters is 0 (zero). Characters in class 0 require one byte for encoding, and occupy one display column. These values are fixed for class 0 (zero). The 7-bit US ASCII code is the primary EUC code set, which is available to users without direct specification. A class 1 code set is a supplementary EUC code set. Class 1 characters have an initial byte whose most-significant bit is 1. If character classes 2 or 3 are to be used, this initial byte must not be the SS2 or SS3 character, as these designate character classes 2 and 3. Char- acters in class 1 may require more than 1 byte for encoding, and may require more than 1 display column. The eucset command must be used to set the characteristics for code set class 1. Class 2 and 3 code sets are supplementary EUC code sets. Characters in these classes have an initial byte of SS2 or SS3, respectively. They require more than 1 byte for encoding, and may require more than 1 display column. The eucset command must be used to set the charac- teristics for code set classes 2 and 3. The cswidth argument in the eucset command line is a character string that describes the character widths for code set classes 1 through 3. The string is of the following format: X1[:Y1], X2[:Y2], X3[:Y3] The value X1 is the number of bytes required to encode a character in code set class 1. Y1 is the number of display columns needed to dis- play characters in this class. X2 is the number of bytes required to encode a character in code set class 2, not counting the SS2 byte, and Y2 is the number of display columns for code set class 2 characters. X3 is the number of bytes needed to encode characters in code set class 3, not counting the SS3 byte, and Y3 is the number of display columns required for these characters. The values for the column widths can be omitted if they are equal to the number of encoding bytes. If the encoding value of any of the EUC code sets is set to 0 (zero), this indicates that the code set does not exist. If no cswidth argument is supplied, the eucset command uses the value of the CSWIDTH environment variable. If this variable is not present, the default string 1:1,0:0,0:0 is substituted. This default string designates that the environment uses a single-byte EUC code set that has characters in the EUC code set class 1 format. If the environment uses a multibyte EUC code set in the code set class 1 format, single- or multibyte EUC code sets in the code set class 2 or 3 format, or both, the default setting cannot be used. DIAGNOSTICS
Your standard input is not an interactive terminal. The maximum character width of 8 was exceeded. EXAMPLES
To display the encoding and display widths for the EUC code set classes 1-3 in your environment, enter: eucset -p To change the current settings of the encoding and display widths for the EUC characters in code set classes 1 and 2 to 2 bytes each, enter: eucset 2:2,2:2,0:0 or eucset 2,2,0 SEE ALSO
Interfaces: eucioctl(7) eucset(1)