Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep in order based on the input file Post 28776 by auswipe on Tuesday 24th of September 2002 10:35:45 AM
Old 09-24-2002
Re: How to grep in order based on the input file

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus

for name in `cat file.1 `
do
grep $name file.2
done > file.3
Does the "> file.3" on the outside of the done statement actually work? When I first saw the segment of code I thought, "Hey! He's gonna overwrite all those responses with an "echo done!"" Then I looked at it closer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy input file based on condition

Hi, I am new to unix shell programming. I want to write a shell script for a functionality existing in mainframe system. I have one file as below as input 123456 &__987 &12yuq abcdef _ referes to blank condition:whenever the input file is having &__ ,it should be replaced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan0703
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move input file based on condition

Hello, I have File1 in a directory A, a File2 in a directory B. If the File2 is not empty Then I have to move File1 from directory A to a directory archive Else no action. Is it possible to do this from one command line? Thank you in advance for your answers. Madi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelMady
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Order based on timestamp in a single file

Hi All, I have a large text file which is a combination of multiple files. This is what I used and it worked. for i in /home/docs/text/* do cat $i >> Single_File done Now wondering, if there is a way to sort that single large file based on timestamps in ascending order. Text file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prrampalli
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File w/ many line pairs--how do I order based on 1st lines only?

I have a file in which the data is stored in pairs of lines. The first line (beginining with ">") is a header, the second line is a sequence. I would like to sort the file by species name. Desired output for the example file: I can use sort -t'_' -k2 to alphabetize headers in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with order lines from a file based on a pattern

Hi I need to order these lines from a txt file my file looks like this IMSI ........................ 1234567890 APN ......................... INTERNET.COM APN ......................... MMS.COM APN ......................... WAP.COM APN ......................... BA.COM IMSI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alone77
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep records in alphabetical order from a file and split into other files

Hi All, I have one file containing thousands of table names in single column. Now I want that file split into multiple files e.g one file containing table names starting from A, other containing all tables starting from B...and so on..till Z. I tried below but it did not work. for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments based on input file?

This script is running some exe file we are passing three argumnet below custome key word Want to update script based on input files every time it will take argument from input file below is the input files should take this input put it into the script. k.ksh cd /u/kali/temp ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)