Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting executing a script for a certain amount of time Post 28766 by Perderabo on Tuesday 24th of September 2002 08:09:41 AM
Old 09-24-2002
This has to be homework...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overlapping(executing time) jobs in crontab

I do not have the luxery of a server that i can try on, so i had to post my qn here. Say i have two jobs in the cron table, the jobs are scheduled 2 mins apart. Assuming the first jobs does a lot of operations and takes > 2 mins. Will the second job be executed? Will Unix actually have a queue... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need inputs on how i can change my script to reduce amount of time the script takes

HI , I have a list1 which consists of data that i have to search and a list2 which has the files that need to be searched .So basically i am using list1 on list2 to see if list1 data is present if found replace it .I have written the code using foreach loop for each list .This is taking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] getopts not executing when called second time.

Hi, Unexpectedly, the function below doesn't seem to work when called a second time. The output shows that when the function is called the first time, it works as expected but when it is called a second time, the loop that processes the options passed to the function, with the while loop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies

4. Programming

Date time problem while executing perl script.

Hi All, This Monday 15th March 2010, i have faced a weired issue with my Perl script execution, this script is scheduled to run at 1 minute past midnight on daily basis ( 00:01 EST ) generally for fetching previous business date , say if it is Monday it should give last Friday date, for Tuesday... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravimishra
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine amount of time to process

Hello all, Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction... I have a script written in bash which is pretty basic and just stop/starts various services based on particular conditions. What I am trying to build is a reporting type function which will send out an email with various stats... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: systrex
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing with system time

hi, i have written an shell script which reads an folder and write the filenames to another file: here is the script: #!/bin/bash find /var/www/vhosts/remixland.de/web_users/stream001/jingle15 -type f -name "*.mp3" > /etc/shoutcast001/example.lst killall -USR1 sc_trans_linux001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maydo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill a process after a certain amount of time

I would like to kill a process after a certain amount of time. Can I please get some ideas on how to do this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple commands in a file at same time

Hi Am having file.ksh as below wc -l file1.txt wc -l file2.txt wc -l file3.txt wc -l file4.txt i want all the commands in this file to execute in same time please help Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command for specific amount of time with an auto key press

Hi, I have been trying to do a small fun project for myself. I want to run a command for 45 seconds. And to get the final output of this command, the script requires I push the "q" key on my keyboard and then the final output file becomes available. I tried the following script. But it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing bash file with sudo for the second time, leads to permission denied, for some commands

I have a script that checks if the script has been ran with sudo. If the script is not ran as sudo, the current script is being executed with exec sudo bash. You are asked for a password, you type in the password, success. Everything is perfect - the commands inside the script are ran as sudo.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boqsc
1 Replies
SETEUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SETEUID(2)

NAME
seteuid, setegid - set effective user or group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int seteuid(uid_t euid); int setegid(gid_t egid); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): seteuid(), setegid(): _BSD_SOURCE || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600 DESCRIPTION
seteuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. Unprivileged user processes may only set the effective user ID to the real user ID, the effective user ID or the saved set-user-ID. Precisely the same holds for setegid() with "group" instead of "user". RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability in the case of seteuid(), or the CAP_SETGID capability in the case of setegid()) and euid (respectively, egid) is not the real user (group) ID, the effective user (group) ID, or the saved set-user-ID (saved set-group-ID). CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Setting the effective user (group) ID to the saved set-user-ID (saved set-group-ID) is possible since Linux 1.1.37 (1.1.38). On an arbi- trary system one should check _POSIX_SAVED_IDS. Under libc4, libc5 and glibc 2.0 seteuid(euid) is equivalent to setreuid(-1, euid) and hence may change the saved set-user-ID. Under glibc 2.1 and later it is equivalent to setresuid(-1, euid, -1) and hence does not change the saved set-user-ID. Similar remarks hold for sete- gid(). According to POSIX.1, seteuid() (setegid()) need not permit euid (egid) to be the same value as the current effective user (group) ID, and some implementations do not permit this. SEE ALSO
geteuid(2), setresuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-10-17 SETEUID(2)