Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New www.unix.com search
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators New www.unix.com search Post 28624 by oombera on Friday 20th of September 2002 10:43:18 PM
Old 09-20-2002
I could understand two-letter searches killing the database if every word containing the letters "vi" were returned; however, since you're only looking for the exact match of "vi" (and nothing containing vi, such as visual, vis, etc) I don't understand why that would hurt performance any more than looking for words that are three letters or more in length...

but I guess if you tried it and it don't work then it just don't work. oh well Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

www.unix.com

Of late, when i start www.unix.com my system is going to 100% CPU and takes lot of time to get the information. I think this is happening after adding the graphics on the page. Has anyone seen this problem..Sorry to post this here.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
6 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

scripts/programs/code posted to www.unix.com

Every now and then our users post complete programs to this site. It is especially important that these contributions don't get lost, so I will collect them here. Some of these programs are intended to demonstrate a programming technique and some are ready to run. As a guideline, the code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Access to https://www.unix.com/source?

Folks, Hope this is not a newbie question, but it might end up being that. I wanted to retrieve the source code for unix_linux_bench as directed on https://www.unix.com/linux-benchmarks/11175-instructions-linux-benchmarks.html When one clicks on the links specified for download, the browser... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagdalule
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Problem connecting to www.unix.com

I've been having a problem connecting to the forum. I know it is just something with my computer but I have no idea what it is. It started last week. Every time I connect I get this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <rss version="2.0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vi-Curious
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Www.UNIX.com is slow today ???

Hi, Just wanting to know if there is any issues today with the site. Initially I thought it is my internet connection or computer but regardless which one I use, the site has been slow and it is also not showing with the right fonts etc. I've been trying for the last 12+ hours and it's always been... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
21 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle -- word search game SYNOPSIS
boggle [-bd] [-s seed] [-t time] [-w length] [+ [+]] [boardspec] DESCRIPTION
The object of boggle is to find as many words as possible on the Boggle board within the three minute time limit. A Boggle board is a four by four arrangement of Boggle cubes, each side of each cube displaying a letter of the alphabet or `qu'. Words are formed by finding a sequence of cubes (letters) that are in the game's dictionary. The (N+1)th cube in the word must be horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent to the Nth cube. Cubes cannot be reused. Words consist solely of lower case letters and must be at least 3 letters long. Command line flags can be given to change the rules of the game. -b Run boggle in batch mode. A boardspec must also be given. The dictionary is read from stdin and a list of words appearing in boardspec is printed to stdout. -d Enable debugging output. -s seed Specify a seed seed other than the time of day. -t time Set the time limit for each game from the default 3 minutes to time seconds. -w length Change the minimum word length from 3 letters to length. + This flag allows a cube to be used multiple times, but not in succession. ++ This flag allows the same cubes to be considered adjacent to itself. boardspec A starting board position can be specified on the command line by listing the board left to right and top to bottom. Help is available during play by typing '?'. More detailed information on the game is given there. BUGS
If there are a great many words in the cube the final display of the words may scroll off of the screen. (On a 25 line screen about 130 words can be displayed.) No word can contain a 'q' that is not immediately followed by a 'u'. When using the + or ++ options the display of words found in the board doesn't indicate reused cubes. AUTHOR
Boggle is a trademark of Parker Brothers. Barry Brachman Dept. of Computer Science University of British Columbia BSD
April 1, 2001 BSD