Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using tab to finish command line parameter Post 28603 by kymberm on Friday 20th of September 2002 03:00:23 PM
Old 09-20-2002
using tab to finish command line parameter

Anyone know how to set it up so that when at command line in unix (specifically solaris 2.5.1), and you hit the tab it will finish the command with the nearest file that matches? AND how to set it up so using up and down arrows access your previous commands?
Thanks for all the help here, i've had all my questions answered pretty well and appreciate the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Line width parameter

can someone please tell me how i can increase the number of characters that can be input on the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoogie
2 Replies

2. Programming

Command line parameter for C program

I am writing a C program that part of the idea is to using a command line parameter to control not to run certain part of the sub program. I am totally new to C, I do not have any idea how to pass a command line arguments from a C program. Can anyone help ?! Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

insert pipe in the finish of the line

hi, i have a flat file, with lines (records), and fields, and each field is separated by pipe ( | ) : 1|078|012006|3,9 2|078|012006|8692275|4|2|GON3507090 2|078|012006|7655734|9|0|GON3507090 2|078|012006|7572405|5|4|GCR5N07090 what i need is to insert a pipe in the end of the line:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in a file with command line parameter

Hello, I am trying to replace a string with a paramter given along with the script. I am replacing application1 to application2 with the script: ./change_app.sh application2 change_app.sh: #!/bin/ksh grep $1 applications.dat 2>&1 >/dev/null echo $1 file=pckage.new sed 's/Name:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the counter of a for loop in command line parameter

Say I have (in psuedocode) For i=1 to 10 tar cvfb /... 5*i /junk(i) end What I mean is that I want each successive for loop to have the block size parameter be 5 times the current counter. This isn't my actual code, just a stupid example...So the question is how do I descrive that parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the last command line parameter?

"$#" gives the number of command-line arguments. How do you get the last command-line parameter (or any particular one determined by a variable)? I thought it would be "${$#}", but that produces something completely unexpected. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkarr
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script - command line parameter

i am a beginner, i want to make a program that takes any command line arguments... and print it out in reverse. ie. if the command line argument is "thanks for helping me" i want it to output "me helping for thanks" :D i have tried using the reverse command, but i cant get it working!! ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies
cfengine(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       cfengine(8)

NAME
cfrun - Execute remote cfagents SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cfrun [options] DESCRIPTION
cfengine is a language based system specifically designed for testing and configuring unix-like systems attached to a TCP/IP network. cfrun is a tool for executing one or more remote agents; it contacts the cfservd daemon running on a remote host, which (in turn) starts an authorized agent. Cfrun cannot be used to send instructions to a remote agent, but it can be used to flag certain aspects to the agent's existing policy for special attention.. The command line options for cfrun are slightly unusual. They are separated into three sections: options to the cfrun program, options to the remote cfagent (with some security restrictions) and finally classes or flags to the remote agent. EXAMPLES
cfrun specialhost1 specialhost2 -- --verbose -- solaris In this example, we contact hosts specialhost1 specialhost2 by name, and ask them to execute cfagent with the --verbose flag, if the class solaris is not defined. cfrun specialhost1 --verbose -- -- solaris In this example the verbose flag is sent to cfrun rather than to the remote agent. No options are sent to the remote agents. The class specifier is sent to all the agents so that they may determine whether they fulfill the required class membership for execution. The default behaviour is to execute cfagent serially on all hosts listed in the cfrun.hosts file. FILES
cfrun read a configuration file cfrun.hosts which must contain a list of every potentially contactable host. AUTHOR
Mark Burgess, Oslo University College INFORMATION
http://www.cfengine.org Maintenance Commands cfengine(8)