Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Forking in Unix using C++
Top Forums Programming Forking in Unix using C++ Post 2856 by TelePlayer on Thursday 7th of June 2001 04:25:58 PM
Old 06-07-2001
Lightbulb

fork() is used to create a copy of a process. When you call fork(), the calling process is copied and you now have a parent and child process. THe only difference is the return value of fork(). It will return 0 to the child process, and a process ID number for the parent. That's how you can tell which process you're currently in.

Well, I won't write your assignment for you, but here's how a fork goes:
<pre>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
pid_t pid;

printf("This will be seen once.");

pid = fork();

printf("This will get seen twice. Once for the parent, once for the child process");

if (pid == 0) /* This is the child process */
{
/* Do child process stuff here */
exit(0);
}
else if (pid < 0) /* Some sort of error in fork() */
{
/* Process error here */
}
else /* This means we are in the parent process */
{
/* Do parent process stuff */
wait(NULL); /* wait for the child to finish */
}
return(0);
}
</pre>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Forking in a loop

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){ int i = 0; printf("I am the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation with the schedular functionality it will help a lot. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
3 Replies

3. Programming

forking a new process

Hi I'm currently working with C on UNIX (HPUX) and need to be able to fork a seperate Java process from within a running C process. I can run the following code from the command line via a script but am having difficulty getting it to work from within the code. I am trying to use execl. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking process.

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { pid_t pID; int i; for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) { pID = fork (); if (pID == 0) { printf ("Value of i --> %d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymthasneem
2 Replies

5. Programming

forking within a thread

Is it safe to call fork+exec in a multithreaded application. Because In my multithreaded application, I need to execute another program in each thread. I am using solaris 10. Any suggestions pls. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking with Tclsh vs Wish

Hello, I am new to this site, so sorry ahead of time if this is not the right place for this question.......anywhooooo I am having troubles with forking new processes in wish. Take the following code example: **************************** package require Tclx puts "TCL VER: " proc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pghamami
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with forking

Hi, my $log = IO::File->new(">$log_file_name"); $log->print("date()."--\n\n\n"); sub process { my ($sub_dir, $file, $config, $log) = @_; $log->print("-- Reading $file file\n"); } my $pm = new Parallel::ForkManager($tc+1); $pm->run_on_finish( sub { my ($pid, $exit_code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

9. Programming

Parent forking

My question is, how do you fork only the parent processes in unix? For example how would I use the fork function to fork the parent process more than once and leave the children processes alone. This way I do not have children of children. The way I have it set up now it the parent process forks 3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
7 Replies

10. Programming

need help in forking

I have an input file with contents like: 5785690|68690|898809 7960789|89709|789789 7669900|87865|659708 7869098|65769|347658 so on.. I need to pass this file to 10 parallely running processes (forking)so that each line is processed by a process and no line is processed twice and write the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - spawn new process SYNOPSIS
fork( ) DESCRIPTION
Fork is the only way new processes are created. The new process's core image is a copy of that of the caller of fork. The only distinc- tion is the fact that the value returned in the old (parent) process contains the process ID of the new (child) process, while the value returned in the child is 0. Process ID's range from 1 to 30,000. This process ID is used by wait(2). Files open before the fork are shared, and have a common read-write pointer. In particular, this is the way that standard input and output files are passed and also how pipes are set up. SEE ALSO
wait(2), exec(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Returns -1 and fails to create a process if: there is inadequate swap space, the user is not super-user and has too many processes, or the system's process table is full. Only the super-user can take the last process-table slot. ASSEMBLER
(fork = 2.) sys fork (new process return) (old process return, new process ID in r0) The return locations in the old and new process differ by one word. The C-bit is set in the old process if a new process could not be cre- ated. FORK(2)