Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: small question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting small question Post 28559 by janr on Friday 20th of September 2002 02:50:08 AM
Old 09-20-2002
MySQL Many thanks

Thank you all

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question of echo | grep command

Hi, i've got the following: a=`echo $b | grep '^.*/'` i'm storing in the variable the value of the variable b only if it has a / somewhere. It works, but i don't want to print the value. How do i give the value of b to the grep command without the echo? thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question regarding substr()

Hello.. I am doing some awk-ing and among all I use substr inside it.. I have: ....substr($0,60,37) meaning as U all know take from 37 char. from point 60.. can I put it like this substr($0,60,end of line) meaning take it from point 60 and take all characketrs in that line until line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A small minix question

First af all hi. i want to create a batch script which inform when users log in last time on system or if they are online when they logged in. I want ot use a file .users which has the usernames of users. i want to print for example peter is ONLINE: Logged in on Wed Feb 11 07:47 alex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasa
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small question regarding SSH

I am looking for some model like this: My Computer ------------- Intermediate Server (IS) ------------- Own Server I must be able to ssh into the Intermediate Internet Server which is generally an online version of SSH service through which I will connect to Own Server. I was the IS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. Programming

A small question about file descriptor

Can any body tell me when I put close(2), why the code does not show any out put? #include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <errno.h> int main(){ int fd1,fd2,fd3,fd4; close(2); fd1=open("test1.txt",O_WRONLY |O_CREAT | O_TRUNC,0744); fprintf(stderr,"fd1 = %d\n",fd1); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

6. Programming

A small question about fork()

Hello experts, I am using fork() in my code but I am confused which output comes first child or parent? I did the following code .My book shows parent first but my linux shows child first.Can anyone tell me why? #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int pid; printf("I am original process with pid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need small help

Hi all, I have two files in my folder 1.index.jsp 2.maintenance.jsp Once hit the URL in IE,It will call the index.jsp file than application working fine. I want to some maintenance in my application, during the application maintenance than it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a small help

Hi, sorry for inconvenience..wrong query posted. Thanks for your help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small fast question

just to confirm du from sh show sizes as multiples of 512 byte right? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

10. Programming

Ok i have a small assembly question

I have this small program that runs with the flat assembler. My problem is that at the receive line function it receives the line and if there isn't a $ typed at the end of the user input the program displays a lot of strange stuff, sometimes beeps and then it seems to terminate without causing any... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
13 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)