Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Closing out ports???
Special Forums IP Networking Closing out ports??? Post 28534 by s93366 on Thursday 19th of September 2002 03:55:06 PM
Old 09-19-2002
Hi..

First of all.. Don't remove stuff from /etc/services.. thats not the
way to go!!!! If you have a backup of the original services file
i suggest you replace the one you modified with the orginal.. or simply copy it from
another box running the same OS and version...

Please tell me what os you are running ! That really helps..
To check for open ports try: netstat -a |grep LISTEN (should work
on most unixes)

you should check the /etc/inetd.conf
for services and comment them out.. example:

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/popa3d popa3d

line in /etc/inetd.conf will enable POP3 mail services..
just comment it out to disable it with a
# sign in front like this!

#pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/popa3d popa3d

then find out the pid of inetd and run kill -HUP <PID_OF_INETD_HERE> or simply reboot the server...

You should also check your startup files för services (depends on OS and init type where to find them.. please tell me what os you are running. This could be done with the command: uname -a)

You could also checkout if there is a free firewall available for your unix/linux if you want more control of what to let in and out of a server.

Hope this helps some..

/Peter C

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing a thread

hi, Just wondering if there could be a way to close threads whose creator has got the desired reply. however if someone still wants to give a remark or suggest further on the thread one can still do so. Besides on the control panel there should be some kind of selection criteria to view... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing windows

Ok i know to open a window from a script (mac); open whatever(name of a directory) but i don't how to close it. please some help. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Closing the socket

Hi, I have a question on closing the listen socket in server. In the application I am working, the server is continously receiving requests from the client in its master socket to handle each request. There is an option to shutdown the server process. In this case do I need to explicitly close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naan
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread Closing

Not sure as to How to close a thread so people understand that the issue was solved and the issue is not just sitting in limbo still waiting for a resolution. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

AllTheWeb closing

It was officially announced that AllTheWeb is closing. Yahoo! no longer supports the function as per april 2011: AlltheWeb.com Before the world turned to google by default, there used to be a plethora of search engines. Most of them gave a headache with the prolific use of colors and animated gifs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing thread

Hi, I guess, users do not have rights to close a thread. Please close thread 'Small automation' as it is resolved. Regards, snjksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies
SOCKSTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       SOCKSTAT(1)

NAME
sockstat -- list open sockets SYNOPSIS
sockstat [-clh] [-p ports] [-P pid|process] [-U uid|user] [-G gid|group] DESCRIPTION
The sockstat command lists open Internet or UNIX domain sockets. The following options are available: -c Show connected sockets. -l Show listening sockets. -h Show a usage summary. -p ports Only show Internet sockets if either the local or foreign port number is on the specified list. The ports argument is a comma- separated list of port numbers and ranges specified as first and last port separated by a dash. -P pid|process Only show sockets of the specified pid|process. The pid|process argument is a process name or pid. -U uid|user Only show sockets of the specified uid|user. The uid|user argument is a username or uid. -G gid|group Only show sockets of the specified gid|group. The gid|group argument is a groupname or gid. If neither -c or -l is specified, sockstat will list both listening and connected sockets. The information listed for each socket is: USER The user who owns the socket. COMMAND The command which holds the socket. PID The process ID of the command which holds the socket. FD The file descriptor number of the socket. PROTO The transport protocol associated with the socket for Internet sockets, or the type of socket (stream or datagram) for UNIX sockets. LOCAL ADDRESS For Internet sockets, this is the address the local end of the socket is bound to (see getsockname(2)). For bound UNIX sockets, it is the socket's filename. For other UNIX sockets, it is a right arrow followed by the endpoint's filename, or ``??'' if the endpoint could not be determined. FOREIGN ADDRESS (Internet sockets only) The address the foreign end of the socket is bound to (see getpeername(2)). SEE ALSO
netstat(1), protocols(5) HISTORY
The sockstat command appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The sockstat command and this manual page were written by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>. The sockstat command was ported to Linux by William Pitcock <nenolod@nenolod.net>. BSD
May 18, 2008 BSD