Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Time taken for creation of a huge core file Post 28490 by Perderabo on Thursday 19th of September 2002 08:00:25 AM
Old 09-19-2002
I wrote a program:
Code:
char x1[100000000];
char x2[100000000];
char x3[100000000];
char x4[100000000];
char x5[100000000];
main() { kill(getpid(),6); }

Call the program "bigdump.c". Then:
cc bigdump.c -o bigdump
date ; ./bigdump ; date

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation time

i have to delete some files that were created on a particular date. is there any way to do that without affecting the files that were modified on the same date? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sskb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File creation time

IS there any command to find the file creation time in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting multiple records from a huge file at one time

I have a very big file of 5gb size and there are about 50 million records in there. I have to delete the records based on recrord number that I know fromoutside with out opening the file. The record numbers are very random like 5000678, 7890005 etc. Can somebody let me know how i can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

4. Programming

File creation time

Hi Everybody, Is their any functions to find out the file creation time in 'C' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creation time in seconds

Hi All, Cany any one help me in solving this.. Problem statement: I have a requirement to find the time from which there are no files created in a given directory. For this I am assuming that I need to get the file creation time in seconds, then the current time in seconds using `date +%s`.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chary
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file creation time

Hello folks, I have a file, but it change every seconds, i use stats command to check its creation time, but it shows access,modify and change time same. Is there any other way to see the file creation date/time? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

7. Solaris

core file creation issue

Hi, There are servers SERVER1 and SERVER2. Both have Sun Solaris 5.1 operating system . A binary file called "Runme" is running in SERVER1 without any issues. But same binary file " Runme" creates core file while exiting . Both operating systems have similar setups. What would be the reason for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe.mani
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

File creation time

Hi Everybody, I would like to know file creation date and time in linux. I went throgh google and forums got some information but from that i am not sure for my question. Please check the following information. "ls -l" ==> but it is just gives the last modified time and date of the file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File creation time in UNIX

Hi All, Can any one help how to long list today's files in unix.i.e files which are have been created today should be able to "ls -ltr" .I should be able to apply the "ls -ltr" command on today's files(should not include all the files which were there in the directory). Thanks in advance!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time take between first and last file creation

Hi , In a folder I have multiple files. I want total time taken to write those files. Can you please suggest what will be the best way to go for it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies
alarm(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  alarm(3)

Name
       alarm - schedule signal after specified time

Syntax
       #include <unistd.h>

unsigned alarm(seconds)
       unsigned seconds;

Description
       The  subroutine	causes signal SIGALRM, see to be sent to the invoking process in a number of seconds given by the argument.  Unless caught
       or ignored, the signal terminates the process.

The requests are not stacked.  Successive calls reset the alarm clock.  If the argument is 0, any request is canceled.  Because of schedul-
       ing delays, resumption of execution of when the signal is caught may be delayed an arbitrary amount.  The longest specifiable delay time is
       100000000 seconds. Values larger than 100000000 will be silently rounded down to 100000000.

The return value is the amount of time previously remaining in the alarm clock.

Environment
       When your program is compiled using the System V environment, rounds up any positive fraction of a second to the next second.

When your program is compiled using the POSIX environment, takes a parameter of type unsigned, and returns a value of type unsigned.

See Also
       getitimer(2), sigpause(2), sigvec(2), signal(3), sleep(3)

alarm(3)