Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .bash_history
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users .bash_history Post 28356 by LivinFree on Tuesday 17th of September 2002 12:52:42 PM
Old 09-17-2002
I definitely see your point, but I see a lot of admins who want to "spy" on their users, or a company that does not hire qualified or trustworthy personell. That is where I get my stance.

Being that I am currently working with a company that does demand real-time transactions and reporting 24x7x365, I understand that sometimes "mistakes" are made when trying to quickly solve a production problem, although in a working business they should be minimal.

In my limited experience, I have seen far more cases of hardware failure than "user error". A good case might be a grossly incompetent DBA whose database design is falling in on itself. And if he accidentally drops a critical index on the box, there's a good chance that most people aren't going to see that logged anyways in a typical setting, because many DBAs use tools like SQL Analyzer, or one of the Oracle front-ends... So do you sniff the wire? And where do you store this growing amount of information in a secure manner? Who analyzes it? Is this person authorized to have the various passwords and private information that they are bound to see in these logs? What is the retention policy on it?

I guess I just believe that if you're still trying to figure out how to keep a user from deleting their .bash_history, you probably haven't given this a whole lot of thought or planning in the first place. Nor would you likely have company backing, as this does become a legal privacy issue, if someone is let go for something you saw in this log.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change .bash_history to another one

we need the help to change .bash_histroy file in root ,(i.e) we want to save the histroy for .temp.txt for permenently. how to do?? Help us (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

During the course of the session before I logout I see some of the commands listed from my previous session but not from my current session and after I logout and log back in I see the commands which I ran before logging out. Does the .bash_history stay in the buffer or someplace else then? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_history

Dear All, I am creating users on our servers. the .bash_history supposed to store all the commands entered by the user. My question is, how can I prevent the user himself from editing or viewing this file? I have tried chaning the owner of the .bash_history to be the root user but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel.n.s
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history modification

Hi Experts, I know my question would be strange but i need to understand how the .bash_history file is logging user actions (the mechanism) and if possible modify it to include also the date/time of every action done by the user. Sample file: # more .bash_history ssh <IP address> -l axadmin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to store time in .bash_history file

Hi - user commands are written in . bash_history of that user when he logs out. my bash_history file shows. not sure what that number means #1329618972 ls -la #1329618978 ls #1329618980 ls -la my bash_profile looks like this PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export PATH export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Bansal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display .bash_history with timestamp using script

Hi would like to ask if there is anyway to display .bash_history with timestamp using shell script? i know that you should use history command with HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " to display it in terminal but it does not work when i use it on shell script. It seem that you can't run history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pikamon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.8.0 2002-10-12 Net::DNS::Question(3)